New mic built for the iRiver - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 19th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

No power supply needed. Just plug one into the iRiver and you're good to go.

Kevin
Kevin Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Kevin
David Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

no it does not.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 11:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Any samples you can give us so we can hear how well the combination is?
Matthew Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #20
Major Player

Does anyone know if the new iRiver-wired mono squids cause problems when used with "other" non-iRiver equipment? I'm thinking about buying some of the Squid mics, but I want them to be the most flexible (i.e., can be used with both the iRiver AND with other equipment).

Question #1: If I just plug the iRiver squid directly into my GS400 (no iRiver involved at all), will my cam be able to record the mono signal? Will it will record to one of the two channels (L or R) even though it has been wired with the funky iRiver wiring scheme?

Question #2: If I try to wire two different iRiver-wired mono squids into a stereo pair via a simple two-mono-to-stereo mini y-adapter from Radio Shack, will that work OK? Given the way the iRiver mono mics are wired, when I try to pair them into a stereo signal like that, will it work the same as two "normal" (non-iRiver versions) mono squid mics would have worked?

Basically, I would like to buy two Squid omni mono mics for my audio kit. And I would like both to work in the iRiver's extened recording time mono mode. BUT, I would also like to be able to pair the two together via y-adapter to get a stereo signal for some occasions, and on other occasions I'd like to pair one omni squid mono mics with my Rode Videomic, with the Squid on one Channel (say R) and the Rode on the other channel (say L). If I decide to go with the "iRiver-wiring" versions of the Squid mics, will I run into any problems using those mics in the other scenarios I describe above?

I think the answer is everything will work out fine, but for some reason I'm worried that the funky wiring might screw things up for other applications? Becuase it seems that it isn't just a rewiring to become a mono mic, it sounds like they had to change which pin was sending the signal (swap channels?). I'm a bit confused on exactly what the rewiring is/does?

Thanks in advance for any help provided...
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #21
Wrangler

Bill you should contact Darren directly. I just bought some stereo squids from him myself, nice mics, and Darren's been very helpful at answering questions.

I also emailed him to see if he'll sign up on DV Info and answer some of our questions on the forums.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques