IMPORTANT! Giant Squid iRiver mic ISSUE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 6th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Major Player

IMPORTANT!!! GS iRiver mic issues and RESOLUTIONS!

Thought this needs it's own thread to attract prompt attention!

I just got in my first shipment of the mics specifically designed for the iRiver and there is a design flaw that must be addressed before going further!

The angle plugs that Darren uses WILL NOT plug into the iRiver's recessed jack....the angle plug is to big around and the bulge between the headphone jack and the mic jack prevents it from plugging in.

FOR NOW, if you wish to own a super fine iRiver mic, and need it immediately, order one with the straight plug (which is what I already had from last week) and request it to be wired for iRiver mono.

I have written Darren about this and will send him pictures of the issue so he can seek an alternative solution.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Wrangler

If they were indeed "specifically designed for the iRivers" how could something as blatant as this be overlooked?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, Darren does not own an iRiver, he was merely answering the requests of a couple of (I believe VUers) for an iRiver mic with an angled plug and wired for true iRiver mono, and he said "can do" more or less. But apparently the fellows he interacted with didnt send photos of the actual jack (actually something easily overlooked in comparison to the main desires of getting the mono right) so he didnt have a way of knowing there would be such a specific issue.

As quick as he has been to make things happen though, I wouldnt look for this to be a problem for long. He is one jam up guy. He got me this order in two days so I would have them in time for a wedding saturday, and is very prompt with follow ups and whatnot.
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Major Player

I feel bad about this...as I should have made him aware of this situation. I found out experimiting with radio shack right angle adapters some time ago that the area around the input is very small. I'm sure Darren will make it right....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Funny, I have an older RadioShack angle adapter that is small enough to work, but the newer ones at the stores now are too big to fit correctly.
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #6
Tourist

Just curious Which model Iriver do you own?
Jon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Major Player

I own the 795's. Mark! Dont feel bad at all, IMHO. To me, it was an honest human oversight, with the main focus being the mono, and then it would be nice to have an angled jack....to my mind, I could very easily see a small detail like this getting in the way.

Incidentally, when I posted this I had just gotten my iRiver mics in the mail and discovered that, but had to post in a rush as I was out the door for a quich job. My intention in posting is not to cause ANY negativity, but simply to keep anyone else from ordering via the web and stacking on orders until the solution is found.

Got an email from Darren and he is busting his butt to find another angle jack source...at present he has three to pick from with the following issues:

-One is $15 each plug

-Another cannot meet the demand and is on backorder right now and will be in in 12 weeks.

-The others are what he has now.

So, as it stands right now, here are the options:

-You can still order new one from him and he will simply ship them with epoxy over the contacts without the plastic cover. Or, if you've already got one on the way, you can pull the cover off and put epoxy on it yourself.

-You can simply order one with a straight plug...works jsut fine...I have two like that already and it is not a problem at all. Or, if you already have one on the way and dont want epoxy as your plug cover, you can simply go to Radio Shack and pick up some straight plugs and solder them yourself...which is my personal solution.

I do not represent Darren, and have no ties to him other than as a VERY satisfied customer, but I wish to ask of you guys to please maintain a high road attitude and not make to much demand on him about this...he's just a small home enthisiast making awesome mics that greatly enhance our ability to do what we do for a VERY resonable cost. As far as I'm concerned, he could charge $50 each for them and I would still pay it and feel like I got a fair deal.
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Oh yeah.........

They (these new ones) record PERFECTLY in mono!!!!!!! Doubled our record time!!!

I just tested one with the little plastic cap pulled off (which does indeed make it fit) set it to mono and had 7+ hours of record time, which when tested worked beautifully!

SO, get em and deal with it!
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #9
Major Player

If everyone who has one (iRiver) would be willing to post what model you have and whether or not it has a recessed plug in hole, that would be awesome. Darren can read them and figure out a way to handle this. Gracias!
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #10
Major Player

700 series (same placement on 300 series?):

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040826/images/iriver_790.jpg

800 series raised (moved to the side):

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040826/images/iriver_890.jpg

John McManimie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques