What was it like when zoom was first introduced? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
What?? You got 72 gigs for $4000? I got my first 9 gig SCSI HDD for $5000, and I had two of them for the Toaster Flyer! Did I get ripped off???
Sorry, I meant to say Mb. Not Gigs.
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #17
Trustee

[QUOTE=Noel Lising;1393184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Was every cut emphasized with juvenile transitions? use it in every shot. /QUOTE]

when NLE first came out, I was guilty of using dissolves too many times, it was such a pain to do a dissolve before NLE came out and having the ease of doing it makes one trigger happy.....
Until NLE came out my recollection is that it wasn't possible to do dissolves unless you were working with One Inch or Betacam (-SP) ie frame accurate/genlocked in a very swish edit suite - or am I wrong?

I do echo the same sentiment though because my first dissolves were made by backwinding the film in a Fuji Single 8 camera. Now that did require some production planning!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #18
Major Player

[QUOTE=Philip Howells;1395033][QUOTE=Noel Lising;1393184]

Until NLE came out my recollection is that it wasn't possible to do dissolves unless you were working with One Inch or Betacam (-SP) ie frame accurate/genlocked in a very swish edit suite - or am I wrong?
/QUOTE]

As far as I know that was the only way, and back then the U-matic player has a plus minus differential of being off by 5 frames so it was no easy task, once you matched the frame, you have to manually do the dissolve. We use to shoot in VHS and dub it to U-matic for editing, the high end clients are being shot in U-matic

lets be thankful for NLE
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #19
Trustee

[QUOTE=Noel Lising;1396217][QUOTE=Philip Howells;1395033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post

lets be thankful for NLE
Hear hear to that!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #20
Trustee

The only trouble with NLE's is that racks of gear with blinking lights, knobs and buttons sure looks cooler than a monitor.

I've often times thought about setting up a refrigerator sized rack right next to my edit desk and hooking up tons of old gear that you can get on the cheap off Ebay or just tossing some multi-colored blinking LED's in metal cases that look like they're doing something just to impress clients.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
The only trouble with NLE's is that racks of gear with blinking lights, knobs and buttons sure looks cooler than a monitor.

I've often times thought about setting up a refrigerator sized rack right next to my edit desk and hooking up tons of old gear that you can get on the cheap off Ebay or just tossing some multi-colored blinking LED's in metal cases that look like they're doing something just to impress clients.
Actually, I did that in my last edit bay! I picked up some used surplus TBC's and distro amps from a live venue client and hooked them all up with the blinking lights next to the edit computer, my Mac G3 Blue and White 450. The only problem was the acrid smell of burning electrical components and the heat they darned things gave off made me rethink my choice.

I DO like to keep my edit bay suitably "technologically cluttered" though...
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
The very people we're selling our work to are looking for modern and trendy. Your typical 23 year old isn't thinking about watching these videos 30 years from now so much as having a really cool clip to stick on youtube or their facebook page.
Your clients are way too young Ethan.

Raise your prices, that seems to keep the kids away!

On topic: My first Kodak 8mm film camera had a fixed lens and a wheel you rotated to adjust the aperture. Looking back at those films from the 60s to 80s, you don't even notice there is no zoom. I think nowadays we are all caught up in technology far more than in the past. But at least our current day on camera lights are not (4) 200watt spotlight bulbs any more. That was a little crazy even back in the day.
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #23
Trustee

**EDIT**
I think I'm just grumpy today, nevermind.

-Ethan Cooper

Last edited by Ethan Cooper; September 25th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #24
Trustee

I remember distinctly my first experience with a real NLE for the first time back in '94. I rented some studio space to edit a doc I had shot on Hi8 and the studio had something called D-Vision. I was completely blown away - looking at the first frame of every clip on a monitor, that you could then trim, and rearrange, even set up dissloves..., I used to rave about the MASSIVE 20 gb hard drive that this system had.

It was off-line only but spat out an EDL at the end that you could then take to the on-line suite.

To get back on topic... Personally, I dislike on-camera zooms - unless there is a real good reason for it, and the thing I think that is overdone these days is overprocessed color grading. And while I don't think using shallow dof is bad, I think too much rack focussing can take a rest for awhile.
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #25
Major Player

I agree with lots of what has been said here regarding overuse of any given effects. I think the bottom line is always whether a transition or effect enhances (or distracts from) the storyline. Beyond that, some transitions definitely look dated. I tend to stick with the simplest of transitions - cuts and dissolves, which will never go out of style. And, it's amazing the subtle ways in which you can manipulate a dissolve - just within that one basic transition is a multitude of speeds that can make a statement or move a transition along smoothly almost without being noticed at all. Same with cuts in the right places.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I will only use a transition, when the cut really needs it.
A far cry from the first time I did create a video, zooming in and out, transitions at every cut' did you know I remember they even had falling cows transitions. Huge transport wheels coming towards you ugghh!
Thankfully they seemed to have disappeared a long time ago.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques