Couple questions from a beginner at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 5th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Couple questions from a beginner

1)I was just wondering what other videographers put down for their expected time to complete the wedding video. On my contract I put 6 weeks, just wondering if that was about average.

2)I've had people ask what's my back up in case something happens and I can't be there. My contract states that if something happens (ie fire, defective tape, illness, etc) that I give full refunds however what bothers people is that even though they would get their money back they are still without a video. What do other "solo" videographers who don't work with other people that can be their backups do about this situation?

3)I have a 100 mile radius for traveling for weddings. I've actually had a client want me to travel beyond that since my prices are a lot lower than others in their city. Do other people charge by the mile for going out of their range or have a set fee? If so is their an average cost?

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have more later :)

Last edited by Jennifer Graves; May 5th, 2005 at 07:43 PM.
Jennifer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jennifer

1. I am the same time frame on the video and usually get it out within that time frame.

2. I don't think there is anything that you can do about lost footage short of setting up another camera on a tripod and just letting it run. Of course you'll have to run every hour and change the tapes... You could also look into bringing on a partner too do two camera coverage.

3. I usually will travel outside my area by 3 hours at the most. I let the customers know that an additional charge will be added to cover travel expenses. Usually I ask them to cover gas, food, and lodging. I don't care if i'm at uncle Bill's house for the couple nights.

Hope this helps...
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #3
Major Player

4-6 weeks seems reasonable. 100 miles? I dunno. Beyond where you are comfortable, you have to just make your choices. Extra fee, plus mileage, plus meals, plus babysitter? It depends on your situation, whether you want to develop the new market, where you will be shooting (Hawaii?) etc. If you can find out how much cheaper than the locals you are, you should try to get at least half the difference in your pocket for time and expense of travelling. If they balk at that, walk away.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Oh yeah #2.. Meet every wedding videographer in your area. You may get referrals, send them referrals, help each other out on bigger weddings, fill-in at last minute, travel to WEVA together, etc. SOMe will be jerks, but the rest will be good to know.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

First, I have worked solo for over 20 years and have missed ZERO events. CLose on a couple but close doesn't count.
The first thing I can recommend is to meet some folks you can trust to do the work and keep their numbers handy. Refunds are great but people would rather have the memories. As for length of time to edit, that depends. Now that we're into the season and I have other work going as well, I always tell my clients 8-10 weeks. This way if I deliver in 6 I'm a hero. If you tell them 6 and deliver 1 day late you're a jerk. BTW, thats 8-10 weeks prvided there are no waits for any pictures or music selections. Once I have that then it 8-10 weeks. I generally deliver closer to 8 but the safety margin is good to have.

In my area, NW suburbs of Chicago, 100 miles will put me into Wisconsin or Indiana so I kind of drew a line to what I feel is a reasonable destination. So for me it really goes by where the wedding is at. AAMOF if I go into the downtown area of Chicago, I charge extra for the parking. Its at least $20 to park in the city garages and honestly most people expect it. As for charges for mileage, not by the mile but by the location, enough to cover gas, tolls, etc. for the trip.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #6
Wrangler

Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
1)I was just wondering what other videographers put down for their expected time to complete the wedding video. On my contract I put 6 weeks, just wondering if that was about average. That's a loaded question. It really depends on many aspects- post-production time spent on each project, working weddings full time or pt, editing backlog, etc. My average turn around time with minimal backlog is 90 days. However in the midst of the season with several projects lined up in the hole- a turn around time in the length of 6 months is not uncommon.

2)I've had people ask what's my back up in case something happens and I can't be there. My contract states that if something happens (ie fire, defective tape, illness, etc) that I give full refunds however what bothers people is that even though they would get their money back they are still without a video. What do other "solo" videographers who don't work with other people that can be their backups do about this situation? Make sure you have a clause in your contract that covers you against such unavoidables. Naturally more cameras and an assistant will add redundancy and further reduce the possibillity of losing everything, god forbid you had bad tape stock or what have you. Despite the fact I know some videographers that do it successfully, I don't recommend shooting solo.

3)I have a 100 mile radius for traveling for weddings. I've actually had a client want me to travel beyond that since my prices are a lot lower than others in their city. Do other people charge by the mile for going out of their range or have a set fee? If so is their an average cost?
Most videographers do, indeed, have a radius which is considered a no-charge zone for traveling, which beyond that is charged by the mile and/or for lodging/gas.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques