Extra income? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 20th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Extra income?

Just curious while I'm trying to start up my wedding videography business (and also hold down a full time day job), does anyone do other things to make spare income with their cameras?

I know once I get going with weddings, I probably won't have much other time, but I've seen interest lately, for instance, in people wanting inventory video's of their home for insurance purposes. Just wondered if anyone's time was supplemented with things other than weddings, and if so, what?

PS. I am really trying to make money back on all the equipment I have purchased in the last 2 months so I can purchase other things I need.
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Great question! I'm interested too.

I've read about real-estate walkthroughs. I haven't done any, but I'm good friends with a real-estate agent and I've been meaning to ask him about how useful these are and if there's any demand for them.

But I'm definitely interested in what others have to say here.

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

real estate walkthroughs.. well. a glidecam comes in handy... but if u know ur camera and how its stabiliser works and its nuances, u dont need this.
Ive done quite afew.
I also have 7 Corporate retainers, and my wedding clients know that my Corps get priority over weddings, as these keep the wedding costs down, so if im running late with something, its usually coz i put a corp job before a wedding. My clients are advised this at booking so they dont compain about delays.
I tell them that if i didnt do this, theyd prolly end up paying 500 to 700 dollars more within their package.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Brandon, there are a million things to do with your camera. Biggest thing is to let people know you are there. Read the newspaper every day and think about what you could do for that business, that person, etc. Give them a call and let them know. A couple of calls a day, and you are rolling. Company grand openings, 80th birthday parties, golf tournaments, fancy homes for sale, famous speaker coming to town,
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Tourist

it takes a while to actually MAKE MONEY in weddings. You will end up spending more money to make money..just a thought to consider.
James Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have no doubt about that James, and I knew it would take awhile when I started. Just was curious about the 'million' other things people do, like Bob said, to get some good ideas about what is really working for videographers out there.

...and thanks!
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Brandon,

I'm in the same position as you (full-time job/video on the side) and I'm finding new opportunities that I'd never even thought of. A couple of examples:

- next week I'm filming a piece for a speaker at a conference to play before his talk
- a local wedding store may be playing a sample of my work on loop in their store (both to advertise my business but to also add to the 'vibe' in the store)
- the local meatworks wants me to film samples of their beef to show off the quality of it (not sure if I'll do this one yet).
- tv commercials for local businesses
- Promo work for bands, festivals and concerts
- local churches are starting to use video in their services to promote upcoming church events

There's so many different options that keep popping up. Getting your work out there is important. I've even had people see one of my wedding DVDs and get me to film something completely unrelated. They see the quality of what you do and see that it can be transferred to different 'genres'.

I'm starting to see that there's so much more out there than just weddings and have actually started turning them down in favour of the other stuff - like you said, weddings are time-consuming.

I've also just dropped back to 4 days a week at my job to give extra time to the video work. Something to consider if your business starts to go well. My 1 day off is already booked solid!

All the best mate.

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Major Player

There are any number of possibilities, but I think that they all hang on a couple of things: who do you know, and how good is your work. I think that if you provide a solid product and a number of people become aware of it, then the rest will take care of itself and people will provide you with the work.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

sounds like some interesting possibilities - thanks again!
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques