Second Camera Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 25th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Second Camera Question

I have an old Canon Optura that I was planning on using as a secondary wideshot camera, but I just filmed a graduation for my moms preschool class and used both my GL2 (main cam) and the Optura as a covershot. And it painfully obvious the quality difference between the two. So I decided that I'm going to get a second 3-ccd camera so the difference won't be as painfully obvious, and less CC in post.

I was thinking getting a VX1000 as the secondary camera(as I can get one for under $1k on ebay, is this a decent camera? Or do you have any other suggestions for a decent 3chip that I can get for less then $1k?
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hendrickson
I have an old Canon Optura that I was planning on using as a secondary wideshot camera, but I just filmed a graduation for my moms preschool class and used both my GL2 (main cam) and the Optura as a covershot. And it painfully obvious the quality difference between the two. So I decided that I'm going to get a second 3-ccd camera so the difference won't be as painfully obvious, and less CC in post.

I was thinking getting a VX1000 as the secondary camera(as I can get one for under $1k on ebay, is this a decent camera? Or do you have any other suggestions for a decent 3chip that I can get for less then $1k?
Yeah the lack of light at your venues will only make your 1-chip secondary cam more obvious. With a little bit of tweaking in post it can be improved but it'll never match the quality of a high-quality 3-chip cam. In brightly lit environments, however, they still exhibit differences but are strikingly similar.

I'm sure you can get away with using a VX1000 as a secondary cam. Granted it's always best to match your cams up but not always necessary.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Major Player

See if you can borrow a camera. See how much work it is to match them up under different circumstances. If this is a business, you may decide the extra hours you save in post is worth the extra money to get a better matching camera. vx1000 not so hot in low light anyway, I am told. But hey Glen is the expert, he's done a million more weddings than me. :)
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Yeah the lack of light at your venues will only make your 1-chip secondary cam more obvious. With a little bit of tweaking in post it can be improved but it'll never match the quality of a high-quality 3-chip cam. In brightly lit environments, however, they still exhibit differences but are strikingly similar.

I'm sure you can get away with using a VX1000 as a secondary cam. Granted it's always best to match your cams up but not always necessary.
Yea, I'd rather get another GL2, but I don't have the extra money for it quite yet.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Ken,

Canon and Sony picture color (as determined by factory presets) is quite different. Many people in this forum suggest that it is very difficult to color balance between Canon/Sony cameras in production -- almost always requiring significant color correction in post. I posted a question on this very subject:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44488

I just switched from a GL2 to a PD170 and I am very happy with the PD170. If you are going to stick with the GL2 (and maybe add another one in the future), then you would be better off finding another Canon. OTOH, if you think you might switch to the Sony PD170 line, then the VX1000 might be a good 2nd camera. But this is just a guess since I have no experience with the VX1000.

HTH.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

don't knock the secondary camera

I thought my 2nd camera was mickey mouse until he provided almost equal vid if not better. I was shooting a concert at my church using a Sony trv120 and a trv900. After setting the shutter speed manually on the cheap D8 the quality was very good and the colors were actually very vibrant even in the low and harsh lighting.

Sure the 3 chipper is a better camera but the most important thing is knowing how to use the manual settings on any camera. I've just started playing with the manual controls and it can really make the difference but if ya got the funds, sure get a better 2nd camera.
Michael Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Wilie
Ken,

Canon and Sony picture color (as determined by factory presets) is quite different. Many people in this forum suggest that it is very difficult to color balance between Canon/Sony cameras in production -- almost always requiring significant color correction in post. I posted a question on this very subject:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44488

I just switched from a GL2 to a PD170 and I am very happy with the PD170. If you are going to stick with the GL2 (and maybe add another one in the future), then you would be better off finding another Canon. OTOH, if you think you might switch to the Sony PD170 line, then the VX1000 might be a good 2nd camera. But this is just a guess since I have no experience with the VX1000.

HTH.

I think I will make due with the camera I have for now until I have enough money to get another GL2. No sense in spending money, just to have to replace it again.

I think I'm going to put that money into a better audio setup as good video with bad audio doesn't cut it.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques