The issue of theft at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The issue of theft

As a newbie, I was wondering if I could get any opinions on the subject of equipment theft during jobs. Is it an issue at all or a rarity? What are the best ways to protect yourself and your investment during (or after) a job?

This concerns me as I will be working alone with cameras, mics and iRivers scattered around the facilities, and I want to avoid any pitfalls if I can.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin
Kevin Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Pay a student to mind your stuff and claim it off tax.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

There are areas of the country that theft has become a major issue. The east coast is rampant with thieves. Unfortunately some videographers still insist on putting used tapes into their camera bag and when the bag is stolen with their gear so are the tapes from the event. That means a complete refund. Not smart.

In the Chicagoland area there has been some theft going on but if you're smart and pay due diligence you can get thru events without it happening to you.

For myself, in 22 years of doing this I have never had any gear stolen but I do certain things to try to keep it from happening.

First, I make friends with the DJ or band and keep my bag in their area. I try to hide it as best as possible and I NEVER put it close to a doorway. I look for a corner by the DJ booth or bandstand to put my bag.
Secondly, I keep an eye on it as much as possible. I constantly look over to the area to make sure things look as they should.
Thirdly, the photog, who in many cases, I've worked with numerous times before, is watching their stuff and mine as I'm looking out for their stuff as well.
Lastly, I don't use a real camera bag for my small cameras. It looks like a tool bag so it doesn't attract as much attention
I also make sure my insurance premiums are paid so should something happen I'm covered and oh yeah, I DO NOT EVER put used tapes in the bag. I keep them in my pocket. yes, it gets bulky and awkward but they are irreplacable. If the gear gets stolen, I have the insurance, the tapes, well, they'd need to pry them from my cold dead hands.

Use some good common sense when storing your gear on the job and you should be fine.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Colvin and Don. Great advice from both, especially about keeping your tapes with you at all time.

Again, my thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Dj/band is your friend. I get to know them quick and spot them a $20 to help keep an eye on my gear. Cheap insurance, works great.

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Get insurance.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques