Wedding Service Editing (not highlights) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 31st, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Wedding Service Editing (not highlights)

Hi. I am currently editing my first 2 camera wedding shoot and was just wondering how 'creative' people get in this segment. My basic idea is to pretty much show the entire service as it was, except for only including small portions of each song, and also editing out any big gaps in service (someone walking up to front to give reading etc).

Could some of you who do a lot of weddings describe what you usually leave in and out. Do you put different music over the procession, have slow-mos or black and white like with a highlight clip, or is it played pretty much straight?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Easton
Hi. I am currently editing my first 2 camera wedding shoot and was just wondering how 'creative' people get in this segment. My basic idea is to pretty much show the entire service as it was, except for only including small portions of each song, and also editing out any big gaps in service (someone walking up to front to give reading etc).

Could some of you who do a lot of weddings describe what you usually leave in and out. Do you put different music over the procession, have slow-mos or black and white like with a highlight clip, or is it played pretty much straight?

Thanks
Mark
It really depends on the client. If it's a Catholic Ceremony with a FULL mass I'll "ask" them if time can be compressed and if there are any sections I can cut to make the ceremony portion more digestable in a sitting. Those things can get quite long- and I never like seeing my clients reach for the ff button.

You'll be suprised at how willing clients are to allow to you to shorten it. Things I often do to cut down time:
- Abbreviate the Processional (but keep bridal march in full)
- Remove readings
- Remove Communion
- REMOVE HYMS!
- Shorten Sermon (very tricky) I try to keep anything that is specific to the client. Like when the officate is talking directly about marriage, family, and relationships. Again- make sure you have a good understanding of where you can go with this by communicating with your client.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Please keep in mind, I do not do weddings if I can avoid them. With that said, I would see if the Bride would like to schedule an afternoon to watch the footage with you. This will serve two purposes- First, she will get to see exactly how long the beast is, and realise nobody would want to relive the whole thing. Second, she would have an idea of what is actually caught on tape, what needs to stay, and what needs to go. Take careful notes.

Again, I am not a wedding pro, so these are just my thoughts on the approach.
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the advice.
Mark Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I am basically brand new to this, but I think that there is some benefit to having the whole ceremony. I edit (well try) my crappy camera footage out with my stationary cam and thats all. I also put together an all day montage that I try to keep under 15 min that they can throw in for guests and that (obviosly) has the bare essentials anyway thats my 2 cents I don't know if it's worth it or not. :)
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques