References at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 7th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

References

One potential client recently asked if I could give them a "reference" to call. Some people find references (posts of praise) from some of the wedding sites.

Personally I don't want to give out any former wedding client's contact info nor do I feel comfortable contacting a client asking if a stranger can call them to sing my praises. I think it's an intrusion.

Wondering what you think or how you'd handle this?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

well, im about to put on some testimonials to assist with some sales.. feedback is always good, but sometimes, some testimonials sound fake.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would explain, very politely, that I don't have a sales system based on references, and then explain that would not be a bad idea though (it lets them know you would not mind if they contacted them) and just explain you are not comfortable intruding into any of your former client's time without that as one of the agreement's (if they are smart they will realize they will be one of those former clients after this is over). I have worked in a custumer service based business for as long as I can remember and people almost always respond best to the polite truth. There are a few who would not take that as a good enough answer, and frankly, if they are going to be bad with this minor thing you don't want there business, as it will be more hassle than money.
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Most satisfied clients will respond nicely to a request for a reference. And it gives you another opportunity to touch base with a prior client, which may lead to more referrals. You shouldn't push it, but it wouldn't be bad to contact a couple of them and see if they would be willing to spend 5 minutes talking with this prospect. Ask how they enjoyed their video, if they need more copies for family (Free!!). You know which ones like to talk and meet new people. You could also use venue managers and other vendors as references.
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

When someone asks me for a reference I will call 1 or 2 recent couples that have expressed delight with their video. Remember not everyone will tell you they're happy but when they do I ask them if it would be alright if I were to let someone that might ask for a referencce call them. I've never had anyone say no but generally they ask if I would call them and give them the number of the person asking so they can call them. I explain that to the potential client and 99 times out of 100 they're fine with that. In the last 5 years or so though, the number of people asking is almost nil as about 75% of my work is from referrals.
I'll never force or pressure anyone to refer or give a reference though. Makes for bad business.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques