Best Camera Location at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Camera Location

Right now, I have my main camera, and second unmanned camera. Since my second camera is just gonna be locked down to a static shot, I figure it would be fine in the back. But what would the best location for my main camera? To the side of the bridal party? Behind them to get face shots of the B&G?
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Still Motion

I think it really depends on where your manned camera will be. Try and used the second camera to compliment the first. I would suggest doing tight to mid shots with the manned camera, so the unmanned would have a wider framing. That also gives you room for error if people move from where they should be. As I would assume you would likely be shooting from the groom's side facing the bride, putting the camera on the opposite side works well. You obvisously need to make sure you don't catch yourself in the frame. Another thing to consider, the Bogen super clamp. I did a wedding this weekend with 5 cams for the ceremony-reception (which were in the exact same place), and I used the camera clamp to put unmanned cameras up near the top of the canopy. Really works well, stays out of sight and makes your job much easier.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Bogen Super Clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
... Another thing to consider, the Bogen super clamp. I did a wedding this weekend with 5 cams for the ceremony-reception (which were in the exact same place), and I used the camera clamp to put unmanned cameras up near the top of the canopy. Really works well, stays out of sight and makes your job much easier.
Sounds like a great idea!
Does the camera mount directly to the super clamp?
Do you have a model number for this?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #4
Still Motion

No the camera does not mount directly, you need to get a head to mount the camera. Price depends on how much versatility, weight and if you need a quick release.

I believe the clamp is manfrotto 035. I know you can search BH for manfrotto clamp and it comes up with a kit that has everything you need.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I found this at B&H:
Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp with 3025 Head.

Is this what you're using? Or do you suggest another head?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #6
Still Motion

That will work for sure but it is not what I would recommend. The other head is only slightly more expensive and the major difference is that it has a quick release plate. If your filming the wedding by yourself with one unmanned and one manned camera, the quick release can be a life saver.

I'm still trying to find a part number myself. I believe this is what I have been using and the double joint makes adjustments very quick.

B&H# BO155RC for the head with B&H# BO2915 for the clamp.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques