Wedding Camera ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Camera ?

I do not do much video, I love it, but also know my limits and make it clear to the customer what they will receive. I under promise, over deliver. For example, I tell them 2 cameras at the ceremony, one at the reception, or 1 at the ceremony only stills at the reception. For my sake, I add an extra camera to each, but not in the contract.

I make my living doing stills, and more profitable for me, so unless its out of season, will not offer video only. Only the combination, which is explained as very basic edit. Only offering HD stable footage with good audio as an alternative to Uncle Harry's hand held.

I have the following.
Sony EX1 (love it, and plan on keeping it)
5D Mark II,(back up to my 1D III and 1ds III, so no brainer)
HV30, (also my playback deck when needed)
XH-A1 with focus FS-C 160 GB hard drive.

I am thinking about selling the XH-A1 and hard drive, as for what I offer do not think its necessary and after 10/3 do not even have another video wedding till May of 2010.

I just feel like the value of this cam will go down a lot and wondering if its a good time to sell it.

I may get into some other video work over the winter only because I have free time and like to work with video, but when it comes to weddings, photography is my specialty, and keeps me busy.

If it were you, would you sell the little used A1, or keep it?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
I do not do much video, I love it, but also know my limits and make it clear to the customer what they will receive. I under promise, over deliver. For example, I tell them 2 cameras at the ceremony, one at the reception, or 1 at the ceremony only stills at the reception. For my sake, I add an extra camera to each, but not in the contract.

I make my living doing stills, and more profitable for me, so unless its out of season, will not offer video only. Only the combination, which is explained as very basic edit. Only offering HD stable footage with good audio as an alternative to Uncle Harry's hand held.

I have the following.
Sony EX1 (love it, and plan on keeping it)
5D Mark II,(back up to my 1D III and 1ds III, so no brainer)
HV30, (also my playback deck when needed)
XH-A1 with focus FS-C 160 GB hard drive.

I am thinking about selling the XH-A1 and hard drive, as for what I offer do not think its necessary and after 10/3 do not even have another video wedding till May of 2010.

I just feel like the value of this cam will go down a lot and wondering if its a good time to sell it.

I may get into some other video work over the winter only because I have free time and like to work with video, but when it comes to weddings, photography is my specialty, and keeps me busy.

If it were you, would you sell the little used A1, or keep it?
Denny,

You already have 3 video cameras (ex1, hv30, and 5d2), if videos not your thing then I'd put the a1 up for sale. It doesn't sound like your going to use it much - if at all.

What you might want to think about is maybe rolling just a little video at key points and then doing a highlight piece only. Way easier to post.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Ken, I agree the addition of video will have its place for me, I am just not sure where. I know many photographers who can not get a good price for a wedding, I have been lucky enough to got a piece of the market that is good, and more profitable than doing video for wedding coverages that I offer.

I want to add video to High School Seniors, and you came up with a great idea as far as highlights and this would be easier done with the 5d II and ex1 than with the a1, having the HV30 as a backup should work.

Thanks for your idea and opinion.

Oh yea, got a couple new lenses in, but have not used them with the 5d II yet. (85 1.2L, 135 2.0L and 500 4.0L) should be some fun footage when I get around to trying them out. I know the 70-200 2.8 gives me great range but a little heavy.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post

Oh yea, got a couple new lenses in, but have not used them with the 5d II yet. (85 1.2L, 135 2.0L and 500 4.0L) should be some fun footage when I get around to trying them out. I know the 70-200 2.8 gives me great range but a little heavy.
Whoa! Denny, your camera dealer must send you something nice at Christmas - you're putting his kids through college. Seriously, those are some nice pieces of glass for the collection.
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Major Player

My A1 and Focus 160 gb fs-c will be listed on ebay in a couple hours if anyone is interested.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Denny,

I just joined the forum here recently, nice to see a familiar face :)

(Still loving my 5D, BTW)

I have a question for you, how are you finding these cameras integrate together in terms of final image continuity? We are looking to upgrade from the Sony VX2100 cameras we've been using for years, and will probably wind up replacing them with Panasonic HMC-150. However, I might get a 5D2 or 7D down the road, and would be curious if adding it to the video workflow would mix well.

Robert
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Welch View Post
Hi Denny,

I just joined the forum here recently, nice to see a familiar face :)

(Still loving my 5D, BTW)

I have a question for you, how are you finding these cameras integrate together in terms of final image continuity? We are looking to upgrade from the Sony VX2100 cameras we've been using for years, and will probably wind up replacing them with Panasonic HMC-150. However, I might get a 5D2 or 7D down the road, and would be curious if adding it to the video workflow would mix well.

Robert
The cameras integrate fine, I have not used the 5D II for video yet, although many have proven it works fine. It does have its limitations.

I have a great wedding setup having the above mentioned cameras, but to be honest I can book all my available Saturdays with photography, which pays me more. I guess because I spend every day editing images, its a smoother workflow then editing video.

My A1 is on Ebay if your interested, its a fantastic wedding camera. HD is great, and customers love it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques