How do you appraise an "editing hour" vs a "camera op hour"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:42 AM   #1
New Boot

How do you appraise an "editing hour" vs a "camera op hour"?

Let's hypothetically say I have a 2 camera wedding shoot. 5 hours of filming.

Then I have to edit my full wedding video, make a highlight reel, slideshow if requested etc.

So currently when giving a quote to a customer I charge 65 dollars an hour, for everything. So the camera men would be appraised at $65 per hour, the editing process would be appraised at $65 per hour, etc. I add all the hours plus any other misc. expenses (fuel cost) required to complete the project up and I get my quote.

Do you guys appraise an "editing hour" at the same rate as a "camera operator hour"?
Do you ever outsource your editing to freelancer's?

Your Input Would Be Much Appreciated

Rusty
Rusty Cromwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If it is just you doing both tasks I would not see why you would differentiate for the different type of work. You don't work harder in one or the other role do you? You can do both tasks for about the same amount of time in a day (it is not that the job is so tough that you can only work for 4 hours a day).
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

interesting question but in my area and experience, a moot question.

I have never broken out a price for a client that way and I doubt I ever will at least not in the wedding side of my business.

I know that typically I will have a 10 hour shooting day and anywhere from 30 to 50 hours post production depending on the package they choose and I've priced my packages accordingly.
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Major Player

My on-location rate is higher than my editing rate simply because the physical requirements of me setting up, operating, tearing down, and transporting two cameras plus accessories are greater than the requirements for me sitting in front of a computer.
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with Don.

First...
Couples generally don't want to be bogged down with the task of trying to understand how the work behind their film breaks down into hourly segments of varying degrees of difficulty and expense. They just want to know what they can expect to receive and how much it will cost.

Second...
To charge them different hourly rates for shooting and editing will likely require a justification from you as to why they're paying more for one service over another, and as soon as you have to justify your prices, you're putting yourself into a defensive mode.

My suggestion is to let your past work samples be the justification for the price of an all-inclusive package that will secure your personal touch as an artist, rather than as an hourly wage earner in the bride and groom's mind.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Moreno View Post
I agree with Don.

First...
Couples generally don't want to be bogged down with the task of trying to understand how the work behind their film breaks down into hourly segments of varying degrees of difficulty and expense. They just want to know what they can expect to receive and how much it will cost.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
I guess I should have been more detailed in my question. I would never actually give a couple a breakdown like the one I described. That all happens behind the scenes. My question is more regarding the "formula" that you guys use internally to actually design the pricing for packages. I internally appraise an editing hour just as much as a filming hour. I am just wondering if you guys do the same.
Rusty Cromwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

over the years I have tried all different sorts of formulas to arrive at the "right" price for my wedding packages. Not a single one worked. So I did what everyone should do. Search the competition and adjust accordingly.

If one is a newbie charge a bit less until one has developed a bit of a reputation. One that is more experienced could perhaps charge a bit more. You can only charge what YOUR market allows and keep getting work in most cases. Of course there are exceptions.
Anyway do I figure a different amount to editing than shooting? Nope not for a wedding.
I don't need to be that detailed. I simply know I get X dollars to do the job (shoot and edit) and the quicker I can get the editing done the more I make. Of course my overhead and expenses get written out of the top.

This only applies to weddings-not to other live events.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques