Record Audio from Sound Board using iPod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 13th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Record Audio from Sound Board using iPod?

I was originally planning on buying a Samson Zoom H2, H4N, or ProTrack Stereo Recorder to begin recording audio at concerts/weddings by using the house sound board, but began wondering if the iPod Touch had the same capability, perhaps by adding an app of some kind. I know there are voice recorders such as the Belkin that you can attach, but I was thinking more of connecting the iPod directly, by using a 1/4" to mini cable adapter. Is this possible? If so, what app would enable me to do this?
Michael Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Mono only, of course. And a mic-level unbalanced input only (on poles 3 and 4 of a 4-pole 3.5mm minijack plug). Griffin's iTalk Recorder is a free app. to try.

I should say: I've not actually tried this, but thought about it. Actually, I was wondering about using it as a pocket recorder for the groom with a lapel mic. Not tried that either yet.

---1---2---3---4
Attached Images

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Looks good - thanks. I saw on Griffin's site that the sell an external stereo microphone called the iTalk Pro that plugs into the iPod (for voice recording use), but I also wonder if you can plug a cable from the sound board straight in? If so, this is a great alternative to buying a similarly priced Zoom H2, although as mentioned, you lose mic balancing.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Ah - I had assumed you were thinking of using the 3.5mm jack socket. To get a stereo input, you have to go in through the docking connector, I believe that's unbalanced line level, but I'm not sure of the pinouts, and it's not such an easy DIY job for making your own adapters...

I don't believe Giffin's iTalk Pro gives you balanced inputs.
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Major Player

I'll stick with mono then. This will work perfectly. Thank you!
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Keep in mind, the more complex the device, the more likely it will fail. I certainly wouldn't trust an iPod Touch and a freebie app to record mission-critical audio.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
I was originally planning on buying a Samson Zoom H2, H4N, or ProTrack Stereo Recorder to begin recording audio at concerts/weddings by using the house sound board, but began wondering if the iPod Touch had the same capability, perhaps by adding an app of some kind. I know there are voice recorders such as the Belkin that you can attach, but I was thinking more of connecting the iPod directly, by using a 1/4" to mini cable adapter. Is this possible? If so, what app would enable me to do this?
Michael, a couple of points regarding your plan, irrespective of how you capture the PA sound. All you'll get is the sound that's amplified for the audience - unless you're recording a big concert, many drummers will not be mic'd up so you'll not record them at all.

Using the PA at a wedding means your quality will depend on the quality of the PA gear.

In all cases your sound will be at the mercy of the PA mixer - if he decides to change the balance or doesn't maintain his gear properly, that will show on your recording also.

For instance, at a Wedding Fair in Manchester last Sunday the DJ/PA providing the sound for the catwalk show started getting badly distorted sound off the radio mic the commere was using. Whilst this genius engineer checked the speaker connections I pointed quietly out to him that the background music was perfect and that it sounded like a radio mic battery dying. It was.

Whilst recording the PA can get you out of a hole, there are better ways I'd recommend you try first.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques