butterfly release footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 9th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

butterfly release footage

Hello,
I need some footage of a butterfly release at a wedding ceremony. It should be filmed in a way that the butterflies are clearly visable.
Could somebody help.
Thanks,
Rob
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Major Player

I have only done one wedding with a butterfly release. Unfortunately the butterflies were so cold (It was on the beach at Monterrey, Ca) that the butterflies just sat there when they were released so did not show very dramatically. The butterflies need to be warmed up before they are released. They eventually did fly but it didn't make a very photogenic moment.
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

ahhhh,nothing says "I Love You" like a hundred dead butterflies.

I've never done one that works out well, hell even doves have dive bombed me. Damn birds! ;-)
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Trustee

I filmed a wedding with a butterfly release once. Of course, they never gave me advance notice, they just did it. It looked ok, but it could have looked better.

Tell them to order a few extra packs of butterflies and have an assistant or a couple kids release them a few feet in front of you at the same time the wedding party releases theirs. Hopefully the butterflies will fly into your shot.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Major Player

I have only one butterfly shoot ever. I second Terry's comment, coming out from their "coma", they just sat & did not even bother to fly. I think butterflies are best set as props to the ring shot, flowers, etc. I know Jmags had one really cool butterfly shot with the rings if you google it maybe you can find the shot.
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
ahhhh,nothing says "I Love You" like a hundred dead butterflies.

I've never done one that works out well, hell even doves have dive bombed me. Damn birds! ;-)

Thanks for making me laugh Don. Butterflies are expensive, I would rather get doves that do fly when released. It just occurred to me, Doves in North America gets released outside the church, Doves in the Philippines gets released inside the reception for the guest to catch and keep. Hmmmmmm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques