SDEs have changed my business..going to SDE ONLY $$$$ and NO BACKLOG at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 15th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SDEs have changed my business..going to SDE ONLY $$$$ and NO BACKLOG

I LOVE SDEs so much that for the most part that is all we are pushing. Next year we already have 12 weddings booked for $3500 (also about 8 others ones booked with other stuff ;( and all they will get as a final product is a SDE like the one we just did
and one camera angle of the ceremony and reception. We will film it with multiple angles but those will only be used for the SDE. NO MORE BACKLOG YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost 99% of my bookings come from referrels from SDEs. I just love so much the gratification a SDE gives me. It also really pushes me to do my BEST!

Some little tid bits about that recent SDE.

Shot with the canon 7D and 5D.
Lenses used 50 1.4, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4, 16-35 2.8
Edited in Sony Vegas
Cineform Neo Scene used to convert the files.
Glidecam 2000 used for flying :)
Cinevate Pegasus
Bogen monopod to keep things stable....
Michael Gebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Thanks for answering the question I just posted to you on the 5d forum.

Next question... What system are you editing with Vegas on???

Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That looked very good Michael, especially considering that it was shot and edited in a day. I really liked the ending shot .
Unfortunately sde's don't sell at all around these parts, that's why I started focussing more at small events since last year as they require just a few hours at location to film and editing is also finished in a day and, very important, it pays better.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I really enjoyed that and would love to be able to produce an SDE. But Im not sure how it works with the UK market and how our days go.

I notice that you also had the first dance in there. So when do you edit and when do you show it?

Here in the UK the first dance is normally around 8pm and then the party starts. Is that the same in the US?
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Very nice job. I like the low steadicam shots, really gives a great sense of being there.

So the couple does not get anything but the SDE?

They don't get the ceremony or the reception?

Do they really grasp this up front?

They are basically getting a music video of their wedding day.

I like it but it would seem they would want more.

(I won't go negative on the music copyright issue, but this music did sound like a released song) If it is royalty free it was a great find.

Thanks for sharing
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
So the couple does not get anything but the SDE?

They don't get the ceremony or the reception?
Mike posted that they give "simple edit" with footage from one camera in this package.

Great "business" kill, Mike. Perfect example how to make more doing less :-) I'm at the same process of simplifying my offer and making it more profitable without changing prices. Can't wait for next season already.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Michael, I'd be interested, as well as others I'm sure... how well this works out in the future. Keep us updated. Nice work, btw.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Thanks for answering the question I just posted to you on the 5d forum.

Next question... What system are you editing with Vegas on???

Thanks.

A quad core hp laptop with 6gb of Ram. Has run like a champ all year and converting with the stand alone cineform converter is the only way to go with the 5D footage. It converts in real time and is extremely stable in vegas 8!
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Michael, I'd be interested, as well as others I'm sure... how well this works out in the future. Keep us updated. Nice work, btw.
Well I'll let you know over the coming years. I already have a few booked for 2011....so we'll see what happens...
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
I really enjoyed that and would love to be able to produce an SDE. But Im not sure how it works with the UK market and how our days go.

I notice that you also had the first dance in there. So when do you edit and when do you show it?

Here in the UK the first dance is normally around 8pm and then the party starts. Is that the same in the US?
Actually this package all the couple got was the full ceremony and this SDE. So I started editing around 4:45 and was almost done when they did the first dance so I ran out there around 8:00 and got a few shots from that then finished it up and showed it around 9. We convert the footage all day long.
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Siewior View Post
Mike posted that they give "simple edit" with footage from one camera in this package.

Great "business" kill, Mike. Perfect example how to make more doing less :-) I'm at the same process of simplifying my offer and making it more profitable without changing prices. Can't wait for next season already.
You took the words right out of my mouth!! :) That's exactly my mindset. I kept trying to think of ways to make more money and jam my packages with more stuff and ultimately more WORK!! My clients LOVE the Same Day Edits and that's what I LOVE to do more then anything. So I thought instead of raising my prices like crazy just give a little less and do what I love most. It's DEF more profitable this way and a whole lot more fun ;)
Michael Gebben is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques