3D Same Day Edit Picture PROOF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 16th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

3D Same Day Edit Picture PROOF

So I don't have the video online yet but at the last wedding of this year my buddy shot in 3D and we showed an SDE in 3D at the end of the night. We also did another completely different SDE also. I will post more details and the video later. I don't know all the answers so I'll have to ask my friend. In the meantime we have been shooting 3D for awhile check out our 3D wedding demo

But here is a picture from the wedding :)
Attached Thumbnails
3D Same Day Edit Picture PROOF-3dpicturewed.jpg  
Michael Gebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Which brings a question ... where do you get the 3D glasses from?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried using some old Monsters vs. Aliens 3D glasses and was not getting the effect. I don't have any others I can try. :(
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vincent View Post
I tried using some old Monsters vs. Aliens 3D glasses and was not getting the effect. I don't have any others I can try. :(
I have my glasses from watching the same movie... still tried it and sadly it did not work. Damn it! I really want to have a look at this.
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Pretty neat effect. Too bad there is no color though.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Major Player

don't ask me why but i have a stack of about 20 x 3D glasses here at home with me! shame i can't pass them round so you can all share the experience!

anyway, really very good! i felt the moving/gliding/crane shots really best showed off the effect

thanks so much for sharing!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM   #7

Richard,

There are a number of technologies/schemes (red/green, red/blue, red/cyan, circular polarised, chromadepth) for the 3D glasses and viewing systems. Can you tell us what type of glasses you have been using?

Andrew
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Major Player

sure thing andrew...just the old-school red and cyan ones

cheers

Last edited by Richard Wakefield; November 22nd, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Still Motion

so here is my question. is this good // not the film itself, but the idea of it?

it seems like a good portion of us in the industry and really focusing on our branding, our overall production value, and our storytelling. does 3d enhance or take away from these things?

to me, it seems more like a gimmick or an effect, but that is my gut reaction. i don't know if i would want to put colored glasses between the viewer and the screen as well, it feels like that would separate them psychologically from the piece as well.

so i looked to see what movies were being released on 3d to see if they were the types of films that really exemplified what we are trying to do. this is what i found. i would love to hear others thoughts.

P.

March 27th 2009: Monsters vs. Aliens: A reinvention of the classic ’50s monster movie.

May 22nd 2009: James Cameron’s Avatar: A band of humans are pitted in a battle against a distant planet’s indigenous population.

November 6th 2009: A Christmas Carol

November 20th 2009: How to Train Your Dragon: Based on the 2003 children’s novel by British author Cressida Cowell, about the adventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III - The teenage son of a Viking chieftain, who must capture a dragon for a rite of passage.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Trustee

While I enjoy Michael Gebbens work, and appreciate his ideas with respect to his SDE business model, I don't see a mainstream future for 3d weddings. As a novelty for the odd client, sure. But to invest in this technology for wedding work? Not me, that's for sure.

I can't imagine any great love stories that would be enhanced by 3D, and that's what wedding videos are. What actually occurs at a wedding that would look better in 3D? The bouquet/garter toss?

Maybe in the future 3D will become the norm in sports broadcasting and Action movies, but Love stories.... What would be the point?
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #11

Good sober words. After investing in HD cameras and workflow, do we really need to go to 3D?

Andrew
Old November 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Major Player

HI P,
I think this is a gimmick and not something that will fly in the wedding industry. Most 3d films are either action or horror. You will never find a 3d drama because it detracts from the story. The viewer is expected to feel an emotional response to the character much like wedding cinema and a pointless effect takes away that emotion. Much the same way too much steadicam/slider/jib can. The reason it works in action/horror is because of the adrenaline rush while watching and having that 3D effect feeds into the rush. You mention storytelling which seems to be this years point of emphasis in all wedding work and really puts most to look alike and there by no one is standing out anymore. Your thoughts?
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #13
New Boot

I think this is perfect start. Guys, we can talk about connection and feeling e.t.c in wedding videos but at the end of the day wedding video is a comercial product and 3D creats new product on the market.
Michael Greenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Major Player

I love to see (and try) new ideas that hit the marketplace. Not all will stick. Not all will be able to stand the test of time. But, without innovation there is no growth, and growth is good. I give kudos to pioneers willing to give this (and other new and novel ideas) a try!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hey Michael,

Great vid !
What camera do you use for recording 3D ?
And if you have recorded it ... can you convert it to normal colors so it can be watched without special glasses ?
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques