dealing with wind - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I didn't have time to read the whole thread, but here are my thoughts. The best way to deal with wind is to deal with it before you record. That means you need to have fuzzy wind protectors on all of your mics. Don't rely on the cheap sponge/foam covers. They don't work so well.
Old November 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I sometimes wish they did but the only thing I've seen is either foam or furry balls. Oh well.
doesn't that mean you're shooting from the wrong angle? :-)

I found the answer on EBay - a blimp from India, they even include pictorial evidence that it's fine for wedding use!

How's that for unobtrusive? and with the soundie next to you you have the added benefit of completly blocking the photogs shot!
Attached Thumbnails
dealing with wind-blimp_pole_3.jpg   dealing with wind-blimp_pole_4.jpg  

Old November 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #18
Inner Circle

"doesn't that mean you're shooting from the wrong angle? :-)"

Paul, I refuse to comment on that only because I'm laughing so hard!

As for the boom, yeah, I can see it now. No actually I can't. Wow, bringing something like in to a church would take some "fur" if you get my drift! ;-)
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM   #19
Trustee

okay gentlemen stop me before I go too far with this idea...

I want a mike close to the couple but protected from the wind (just for outside use)

Audio-Technica | Pro 24 Stereo Condenser Microphone | PRO 24

If I take something like this and hook it up to a zoom or other recorder and position it about waist high directly in front of the celebrant between the bride & groom (forward of them actually - we don't want to stop them getting married) - that should work.

I put some sort of windcover/blimp over the mike and we're right to go

I just have to make it invisible.... so what about a small slim stand with a wedding symbol on the front that widens out as it reaches the top (maybe some space to put flowers)

From the guests point of view it's a white stand that forms a focal point between the bride & groom - from the back it's a housing for a mike & wind cover that's only seen by the celebrant, bride & groom.

K-Tek | Windscreen - Slip-On Windscreen (Tiny) | Z-FSO-T | B&H

I've attached a couple of images of the shape I'm thinking of - if the basic design is right it will look like it's meant to be there. at the right height & size it doesn't obtsruct the ceremony and 'goes unnoticed' Of course you'd have to show them at a rehearsal so they were comfortable with the idea but I usually attend those anyway.

Am I way off the mark? - is it worth developing the idea?

let's not get hung up on the 'right' mike or blimp - I just want to put the general idea out there to see if it's got legs.
Attached Thumbnails
dealing with wind-99651.jpg  
Attached Images

Old December 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM   #20
Major Player

Try a Rycote Mini Screen and windjammer combination, Rycote - Miniscreen by far the most effective solution I have ever used for on camera mics. I can film on the wild North Cornwall cliffs, and all but kill any wind noise. Dont forget to cover every joint, switch, xlr point on the mic with tape, or foam. These areas, left uncovered will render any wind protection you may have useless.
Attached Images

Old December 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM   #21
Major Player

I don't mean to hijack this thread since the focus is on eliminating wind before you record (and we should all agree that that is priority number one), but I am editing a wedding with quite a bit of wind myself, and have found great success using Soundtrack Pro's Noise Print/Reduce Noise tool. Do a Google search and you will find a number of great tutorials about this feature.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques