Bride and Groom staying on Wedding night at the reception venue? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Trustee

Bride and Groom staying on Wedding night at the reception venue?

Right all you guys and gals who do dozens of weddings a year, do you happen to know what proportion of newlyweds choose to stay their first night at the reception venue? I find this a idea a bit bizarre, especially if there are other wedding guests staying on as well. The idea of meeting over breakfast, well it seems a bit "Wicker Man" to me - like some old fishing village ritual where the whole population witness the consummation. OK, maybe that's a bit OTT but you get my drift.

In my day, the B & G changed into their going-away stuff and drove away, often with silly (and noisy) things done to the car. It was always a closely guarded secret where the couple went on their honeymoon. After the B&G left, the guests got to relax a bit more and the Bridesmaids and Best Man could consider themselves "off duty" and could unwind.

Am I totally out of touch?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, you are totally out of touch for US style weddings. You are thinking small town mentality.

I have shot a lot of 40ish year olds location weddings. In some cases, they are at the destination for the wedding, and in some they are leaving the next day or perhaps not going on a honeymoon at all.

In some cases one half of the family is from far out of town and have come for the wedding. They want to visit with their out of town family the next day, not rush off or home.

Around here, some B&Gs will rent one or more of the huge beach houses to stay in with out of town family and the wedding party for the days leading up to the wedding (say Saturday) and the wedding day/night.

Staying with friends and family seems pretty normal IMO.
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree. It seems most stay overnight & leave the next day. Which only makes sense, most weddings end close to midnight, by the time they change & leave, they'd get to the airport at 1 or 2am. Plus, who would drive them, drunk relatives?! Most rent a hotel room, & seem to ask to reserve their room apart from the rest of the party (different floor) or something.

When my cousin got married she & her hubby came out to a nearby bar & did carbombs with us! Pretty funny stuff.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Absolutely nothing strange about that, sometimes we have breakfast the day after with the bride & groom along with the family when covering long distance weddings. Spending time with family/friends is what weddings are really about. Times have changes, there is no reason why anyone should feel ashamed.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for these interesting replies.

Just for the record, NONE of the weddings I have been at either as a guest or to film (or both), have had the G & G staying on, hence my reason for asking.

Weddings have always been about getting together as a family, on both sides and as a new extended family, so no change there.

There is a degree of symbolism in the departure of the newly wedded couple which is perhaps not as obvious to some folks today. The Bride and Groom leave their parents and set out n a new life together. But there again, if the couple have been living together (and maybe even have kids) before the wedding, there is rather less point in keeping the tradition. Most brides still wear white, and my granny would have said the some of them shouldn't. :-)

I would still be interested in hearing from other parts of the world, particularly the UK.

What a wonder mine of information is dvinfo!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I do a lot of destination events. They typically differ from "hometown" weddings in many ways. More often than not they involve a large number of the family and friends staying in the same resort/hotel as the couple.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Trustee

My personal preference would be to get out of town after the wedding, but my daughter just informed me that she and her new husband are planning on being at our house for brunch with the family the day after her wedding. I would say in my career as a wedding DJ and a wedding videographer (over 500 weddings) at least 80% of the B&Gs take off that night to great fanfare.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Chris:

Are you in a small town or would you consider it fairly "big city"?

Im definately in a different demographic. At my weddings everybody has pretty much left the reception well before the B&G do and there is little, but some fanfare if they are actually leaving.

At my last wedding I even had the B&G stage their departure for the video as I wasnt staying that late.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I also believe that venues (particularly hotels) do offer the Bride and groom a honeymoon suite and stay overnight as a wedding package, this also includes any of their guests to stay in not so posh rooms, especially if they have travelled quite some distance.
My daughter who was married last year was offered this facility as part of the wedding package.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

In the 25 years I've been filming weddings, I've never had one when the Bride and Groom didn't stay at the reception venue.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
Chris:

Are you in a small town or would you consider it fairly "big city"?
I guess it would be a bit of both - from the Minneapolis area (3.5m) to rural Minnesota/Iowa/Wisconsin. I don't think it's a big city vs. small town issue, but rather a regional thing.

You also have to understand that as the wedding DJ, I stayed much later than the videographer so probably got to see the "big farewell" more often.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques