When things go wrong working for somebody else... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #16
Inner Circle

It's actually relatively sensible - if you're there for "backup" and b-roll shots as an "assistant", yes you're "there", but in an entirely different capacity than if you are the primary cameraman/shooter... two different levels of attention, focus, and actual function.

I think the misunderstanding occurred when the guy doing the hiring stated he was hiring for an "assistant" at a low rate, and then expected a cameraman... for the same $$. It's like hiring a guy to paint your trim, and then asking if he'd mind doing the rest of the house since he's there anyway...

The problem stems from professional respect, as the OP stated - I don't think he'd have minded whether it was the promised $100, or the appropriate $300, it was being "hired" for one job, then being "expected" to do another so the guy who hired him could "play", and being paid at the lower rate.

The feeling of being taken advantage of is no surprise, and if the guy doing the hiring was even slightly thoughtful or cognizant of the OP's feelings, he could have offerred to split the difference when the issue arose IMO. But I somehow don't think the issue will arise again...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
If you're never going to work for him again anyway... just bill him the $100 and walk away. Sometimes it's best to just walk away - even when you're right - than it is to get into a battle you can't really win anyway. Life's too short to live it being angry.
+1

It's a bummer, but you should just move on.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
I actually didn't decide on my own, he would point to me and say can you shoot this, while he sat at his table with is girlfriend and other guests.

It seams more to me like he had planned on me shooting the whole thing from the start and didn't want to inform me of this.
Not trying to defend him, but was he friends or acquaintances with the party? (Family?). It sounds like maybe he knew the hosts/guests and was asked to video it. He obliged, thinking he could do both (attend and tape). Then when surrounded by friends, he couldn't juggle both tasks (or preferred to just be a guest instead), and asked/had you tape the event instead.

I understand your gripe, and you have a right to be upset & feel taken advantage of, however as others have said just take the high road & be done with it. You did offer to attend for 3 hours at $100 so it seems you're more upset over being taken advantage of & deceived, than the actual rate you were paid.

Bygones. Just learn from it & move on. If they ever contact you again for work just decline and explain this scenario is the reason you will no longer do business with them. Maybe they'll really need your work asap & see this in a different light. (I think someone else asked, was this other "shooter" the boss? If not, can you report his work ethic that night?).

Almost sounds like a bad date or ex-girlfriend story, tbh.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Yeah i'm going to leave it be.. not going to worry about it and I'm not working for them any more.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques