Photogs with handheld video lights are killing me! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 8th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Tim, some electronic flashes with infra red devices don't use them for focusing and need a modicum of other light to focus. My Sony Alpha's like that - though of course it probably isn't what most pros would use. Mind the OP did write about very substanital video lights, not on-camera LEDs.
Sorry Phil, I was referring to Dany's post about the LED in place of a flash mounted on the camera.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I have three things to say on this.

First, that really sucks, Dana. I can't imagine having a light shaking all over the place.

Second, this is where videographers need to take the lead and set up lighting in certain situations. I've had a number of photographers mention to me how much they appreciated our set up lighting for things like the first dance, etc.

Third, this is also where contacting a photographer ahead of time could help resolve the issue. If you coordinate in advance with the photographer, they might realize they don't need to hold a light since you'll be lighting the scene. It won't solve every problem, but I think it helps a lot.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Third, this is also where contacting a photographer ahead of time could help resolve the issue. If you coordinate in advance with the photographer, they might realize they don't need to hold a light since you'll be lighting the scene.
[photographer's inner voice] "Who's this CHERRY, calling me talking about his lights. Since I assess perfectly all lighting situations on-the-spot, during the event, with no outside assistance or recommendations/guidance needed, this phone call gives me the perfect opportunity to patronize, just so he knows who's really in charge." [END photographer's inner voice]
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques