2010 Bookings...Poll at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 16th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2010 Bookings...Poll

Every market is different, but here in Houston our wedding bookings for 2010 have nose-dived. I usually have 60% of the next years booking set by this time of the year. I'm at 20% of normal...at least for the $2500 - 3500 price range.

I have a budget package, but not even a querry for that one.

I noticed the same thing with the guys that shoot the $1000 - 1300 stuff usually have a good 15 set for the following year. For 2010, the main low-baller has only 1 booked.

I always thought this was a recession-proof industry...I guess not.

How is it in your neck of the woods?
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #2
Major Player

In Greece, where the economic recession hit red, we have booked till now 14 weddings (and we turned down more), at a price no less than 2800 Euros (4000 dollars), but it's not standard. In some of these bookings the price includes photographer's fees and album costs. In some other high-end destination bookings that we go strictly for video, the prices is 2500-3000 Euros plus expenses. It seems that a wedding is always so important that defies any recession. That's why I like tradition! :)

But those prices do not represent the situation 100% because we are pretty expensive. The truth is that you can find and book a package that contains, photography, video AND album for 400 Euros! The result will be mediocre (at best) but strangely the B&G always expect the best!
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

2009 was a tighter year for us, but midway through it we were already halfway booked for 2010. So for us, 2010 is looking A LOT better than 2009, and A LOT better than any other year we've had. Crazy.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Like Travis, 2009 started to look a bit tight, with the announcement of the credit crunch. But I considered myself lucky as I had nearly all my bookings for 2009 taken before that announcement.

Then (coincidence or not?), they began to say on the news that the recession was improving, and all of a sudden, bookings came flowing back in once more. perhaps it gave people the financial confidence again to book us videographers, PHEW!

And now, thankfully, 2010 is pretty much booked out for me (absolute limit of 4 a month before i go insane!), with even numbers in low to top packages - although nothing yet for 2011.

i hope things massively improve for everyone, in every country. If you survived the recession, then it was 'meant to be' and you'll reap the rewards again soon :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Guys
So far for me 2010 is strange. I usually get 4 bookings in January but so far just 2!! However September and October are fully booked already!!and Feb thru to April are normal. We don't get a lot of June/July bookings here as it's Winter and cold and wet!!!

2009 was VERY busy !! I normally try to have just 4 a month but November had 8!! However at this time last year I had September to December free and had most brides book around Winter.

I still think that it's on average, a pretty recession proof industry!! Our median price for a total wedding jumped from $25K in 2008 to $37.4K in 2009

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Major Player

only 4 here so far, it should escalate quickly within the next 6-7 weeks.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I tend to book most of my weddings in the same year (20 - 25), but this year I have booked 16 so far for 2010 so I guess people in the UK are not fearing the credit crunch or not really feeling the pinch...

Most are still going for my middle package (which is the most popular by far) at about £1500 ($2300)

I just hope there is not a wave about to break on us....
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Tom, up the road is Austin things are looking about the same, Our prices start at about $2000 and I have 3 booked for 2010, January always seems to be a great month for booking, however.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Lets keep the Texas theme going guys....In the Fort Worth/Dallas area there are huge bridal shows in January and that is when brides in this area usually start calling. I book most of my events right after the shows so January is when I'll know how good my year will be.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques