Audio For Play at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 16th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio For Play

Not strictly a wedding question but hope you wont mind me asking. I have a play this week and im wondering whats the best way to mic it? Usually id go through the desk but apparently its no where near my camera. I do have the wireless EW 100ENG G2 system can that be used on the desk to my camera? The desk is going to be manned by one of the parents who does not have an audio background so that kind of worries me, what other alternatives are there? put a couple of shotguns on the stage maybe?
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dennis,

We do quite a few of these and what we do is always use a minidisc recorder to capture sound from the engineers desk. This way if there are mics in use on stage (always for vocal or singing) you capture it all.

When doing dance shows with tap, we often place pin mics with MP3 recorders (olympus) at the foot of the stage to pick up the tapping (if there is nothing already in place in the theatre)

A good tip is to attach them from the sides (at least one left and one right) but fix to the curtains or wing curtains. This way they do not pick up the boom from vibrations on the stage caused by the monitors. Also try to keep them away from monitor speakers where possible. A bit of tweaking in post can remove most of the low frequencies and get a very nice crisp tap. (maybe not relevant, but thought it interesting to post anyway)
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Vincent, i have one of those Zoom recorders but it doesnt have any XLR plug, how would i attach this to the desk?
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Short guns along the front of the stage and a multi-track recorder or a competent sound mixer to do a live mix.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques