Watch out when a wedding customer gets mad... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Watch out when a wedding customer gets mad...

When a videographer doesn't return phone calls to their clients, the customer can get pretty upset. They reported the video guy to the ABC7 consumer show in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Makes us legitimate videographers look bad...

See clip:

Videographer disappoints South Bay newlyweds - 12/10/09 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com

Last edited by Jaime Espiritu; December 18th, 2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: insert website
Jaime Espiritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've known some people like that-they don't respond to calls or emails. Bad not just for them but for all of us. Unfortunately we all get lumped together by some people.

It takes less time to respond than to avoid a call or email. When I get a call, if I'm in the middle of a client meeting I simply tell them I will call them back, set a time to do so and hold to that time. If it's an email I repond back with either the information OR tell them I will call them. How can you not!? At any given wedding there is at least 1 couple there that is engaged or going to be very soon and they too need vendors. Cheapest advertising there is. Don't respond to their friend and chances are you won't book the newly engaged couple. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Even if you know it's going to be an advesarial (sp) call, answer it. Better to face it now than to let it fester. In the clients mind the longer it take the worse it gets.

Answer the call, answer the email, even if you've got notheing new to tell them RESPOND. It's only good business.

BTW, the only time I don't answer my cell phone is when I'm shooting a job. Otherwise I do. Isnt that why we have them? Phones now can not only answer calls but get email as well. Why have it if you're not going to use it.

If it sounds like I'm aggrivated about this sort of thing I am. Think about when you are trying to get ahold of someone and they keep ducking you.

OK enough. (Off my soapbox) ;-)
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Major Player

"...but he didn't have an address for Duran nor did he have a contract."
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

And if you read the story, the news crew tracked him down and left a message with "his parents..." He looks like a 17 year old with a fancy camera from the picture in the story. The brief clips looked to be shakycam/unmotivated zoom style shooting to top it off. Caling a kid with a camera a "videographer" is a LOOOOONG stretch, IMO.

Anyone care to lay odds that the other side of this story involves Craigslist?? And I notice no mention is made of the price paid. I somehow wonder if the phrase "you get what you pay for" applies?

Moral of the story, hire a professional and be willing to pay a reasonable price - a pro would have explained timelines and delivery, and this wouldn't have been "news" (which it barely is...)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You don't understand how much people like this upset me! ugghhh! Like it was said earlier, this kind of stuff makes us all look like idiots!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques