backup with or wothout grade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

backup with or wothout grade

grettings to all..

simple question..wondering what other people do...when I finish a project and get ready to delete and backup..i have the feeling I want the edited backup video to be withoutany color grading in case I later want to use it and try something different with it or maybe I got better at grading and will want a flat uncorrected video...

does this makes sense? I still want to save an uncorrected version and also the corrected one...is this a waste of time and gbs?

what do people do in terms of video storage and grades?

thanks..and merry xmas.
Old December 27th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I say save both.
A - you will have a better reference, if you want to try something different.
B - you can always buy more storage space
B2 - and hard drives are always getting larger and cheaper
C - if space ever gets to be an issue... you can always delete one later
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Trustee

I use many removable harddrives with a datadock to allow hotswapping internal IDE drives externally for backup of projects. I also keep all of my tapes as secondary backup (may years of IT paranoia - and the reason I'm unwilling to trust harddrive and flash based cameras).

This way, I'm not just keeping the final product, but all of the raw source files and the full edited project in the editor's format. Offlining the project allows me to delete the footage, and recapture from tape if needed saving space.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques