Laura's latest article in EventDV - Sound Design at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Laura's latest article in EventDV - Sound Design

If you weren't able to see our Sound Design seminar at WEVA in 2008 , this is the next best thing - enjoy

EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource
Steve Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
AVPA

Thanks for the link Steve,

This is a good read and Dean & I have been giving more thought to the 'realism' of how we edit certain parts.
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Rochelle for reading it. Sometimes audio is the weakest link in a filmmaker creative arsenal.
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Great article, Steve - thanks to you and Laura for posting! I agree that sound is extremely important. I used to do audio sweetening at a post house here in Nashville, so I totally understand how effective it can be.

Personally, I think getting great audio (from a production perspective) is actually more difficult than getting good video. Obviously both are of equal importance, but getting good audio is really an art in itself, and there are so many things that can go wrong with audio that, for me, it is what I worry most about during a ceremony. At least with video if you are framed up and there is enough light, you're pretty well covered. With audio, there are lots of little things that can go wrong or mess it up - namely people bumping up against their mic, levels being too hot or too low, wireless interference, unexpected performers or speakers, wind, coughs, planes, trains, automobiles, etc... there's a lot that can get screwed up even with the best of plans. Planning ahead and being prepared for the unknown can save your butt. And yes, room tone can save your butt too. :)
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Bill, thanks for the great response, you are so right about audio. That is what I worry about and have to fix in post way too often. We have the Zoom 2 recorders and they have saved our butts many times. :) Like Laura says "Real sound + real time = real life" Thanks again, wish you were going to IN[FOCUS] in 3 weeks, we are giving a (hopefully) well received seminar.

Steve
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Best of luck on your seminar Steve, I'm sure you both will do great! I wish I could come to InFocus as well. My conference budget this year went to WEVA, which was well worth it. Now I just have to start making money at this! ;)
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Steve,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Laura at WEVA this year. Thanks for posting the link to such a good article.

I think Bill and I are in similar boats in regards to "making money" and being on a tight budget just starting out and all. My first paying customer a few weeks ago cried when he saw his video finally on the big HDTV. He REALLY liked it. I was very surprised. (But my wife cried when she found out what I got paid - if you get my meaning). But it's a start. Got a couple of more the next few days. It only took four months to start making a little money since starting up.
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Roger, nice to meet you at WEVA also. That is the place to learn, that and forums like these that concertrate on wedding videography. This is a wonderful industry and can be so rewarding, but not always in the pocketbook. :( All I can tell you is to try and align yourself with the top tier of vendors and don't give it away. The next person will want it for that rate. This is a referral based business and referrals are the lifeblood of a successful business. A hip, bride friendly website is a must. Wish you luck and success :)

Steve Moses
Steve Moses is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques