Reception Lighting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM   #16
Inner Circle

A dimmer can be very useful, but if you're using a 50w off-camera light I doubt I'd use one. 50w isn't all that bright in my opinion.

We use Britek off-camera lighting, and the lights are set up with two bulbs (250w each) with a switch to control each bulb. So we can operate a 250w light or a 500w light. Some people might think it's overkill, but it creates really dramatic lighting and our clients love it.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #17
Major Player

I use the 75 watt bulbs and I would like to use a dimmer, but not because the lights are too bright. I would like to bring the lights up gradually with a dimmer. It seems like I asked the creator of the Reception Light about a dimmer and if I recall correctly, he said it would drive up the cost too high.

I agree with Travis, 50 watt lights, 10 or more feet in the air is not a very hot light. I guess if you had a very small dance floor they may be slightly overkill, but it would have to be a very small dance floor. If you did find yourself in that situation, I guess you could use just one light, or bounce them both off the ceiling, if the ceiling is low enough.

After you have used them at your first reception, let us know if you felt they were too bright.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I just used an off camera light much in the same manner as MVL. I made it myself using an Anton Bauer light with a 75W bulb and an adapter cable I made a while back to fit a cig adapter Bescor battery. Set it up about 9 or 10 feet by the DJs setup since he was close to the dance floor. I left the soft box off the light and it worked great. Nice little highlights especially for the first dance and other special dances. I moved it to the opposite side of the floor when the dance floor opened and found it worked well there also but keeping in mind the DJ had some nice LEDs running to light the floor with. I did move it back because I was a bit concerned about someone knocking it over since there wasn't a post close to the floor to protect it but in either case it worked out just fine.
So I agree a 50W even a 75W a few feet away from the floor and 10 feet in the air really is not a hot light at all.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I forgot to add that we do pack diffusion sheets with us in case we want to soften the lighting or knock it down some. Usually we go with a bare light with just the barndoors, though.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Ok, this may be an overkill, I use a 1000W soft Box with a dimmer (I never use all the 1000W) I placed it very high so it is not in anyone's eye level, I dime it as need it, I also have a remote for it so I can turn it on/off whenever I want.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #21
Major Player

Question about the Wirless light

Is the wireless reception light a halogen light?

If so, at 50-100 watts, what is the colour temperature? Does it change with a higher wattage rating??
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
Ok, this may be an overkill, I use a 1000W soft Box with a dimmer (I never use all the 1000W) I placed it very high so it is not in anyone's eye level, I dime it as need it, I also have a remote for it so I can turn it on/off whenever I want.
Hi Michael,

I used a Lowel Rifa 55 (500 watt soft box) for a couple of years before switching to the Reception Lights. You are right, a dimmer will make a higher wattage light usable when you don't need that much light, but I really like the Reception Lights better than the softbox. I never had one negative complaint, but I always thought the softbox made a bigger apperarance than I liked and even when it was off, you still saw this big white surface. I really like the size of the Reception Lights, and when they are off, you don't even see them.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Is the wireless reception light a halogen light?

If so, at 50-100 watts, what is the colour temperature? Does it change with a higher wattage rating??
Yes and the color temperate is 3200K and no, the color temperature does not change between a 50 watt light and 100 watt light.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I thought that this might add some value to the discussion.

American DJ ProPar 56 CW WW

This is a 36watt PAR 56 LED fixture (approx. 120watt max tungsten equiv.) which is color variable and fully dimmable via a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483435-REG/NSI_Leviton_N3004_00D_3004_Dimmer_DMX_Control.html. Generic http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/195861-REG/Altman_6_BD_4_Four_Leaf_Barndoor_Set.html should fit.

I just wish it worked with 12VDC.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
As Mark stated, the color temp does not change. However, if you're using a dimmer the color temp will change unless you're using the special LED lights.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
I really like the Reception Lights better than the softbox. I never had one negative complaint, but I always thought the softbox made a bigger apperarance than I liked and even when it was off, .
Mark, do they have any diffusion ? they seems harsh if you turn them all the way up,where the soft box It is much easier on the eyes.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Just purchase some diffusion sheets and you can soften the light quick and easy.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
Mark, do they have any diffusion ? they seems harsh if you turn them all the way up,where the soft box It is much easier on the eyes.
Hi Michael,

Travis is right, just bring along some diffusion paper. The Reception Lights do include a glass diffuser. When I first bought mine, Darrell, the owner of the Receptions Lights, said I may want to remove the diffusion glass since I had been using a 500 watt soft box. Granted, I was running it about 50% and never 100%.

So the first time I used the Reception Lights, I removed the glass diffusers and brought along some diffusion paper. I did not need the diffusion paper. Remember that the Reception Lights are about 10 feet in the air and are about 10 feet or more from the center of the dance floor. Lights that far away and that high in the air are not harsh and certainly not an eye soar. When a light source is at eye level it is very irritating. I have never had a single complaint about the Reception Lights and the photographers love them. They add just enough light to the dance floor without overpowering it and they especially do not ruin the atmosphere of the room since they only illuminate the dance floor.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I'm sure Mark has noticed this too, but when you get the lights up high it also gives you more latitude in shot selection without casting a shadow on the couple.
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #30
Regular Crew

My Camera Light of Choice
Sony HVL-20DW2 20-watt Video Light - for use with L Series Batteries
$79.00 aat B&H Photo Video

For 95% of the situations I'm in, this 20-watt light that uses Sony Camcorder batteries is perfect. It's light (not-heavy) and runs full-power for 2-hours. My style is low-key documentary, and this is perfect for Run&Gun shooting.

*One drawback to this light. Sony in their infinite wisdom made the hot shoe portion of the light very weak. So one time, i placed my camera down, and someone gently kicked it and it fell on it's side and the light shoe broke off. I wasn't very happy to say the least.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques