Frustrating? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 6th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Major Player

I'd like to believe that most of us love what we do, that's what goes for me anyway. If I didn't like it, I have some other talents to use in order to make a living, so the fact that I chose the weddings as my line of work shows that I kinda enjoy it. A lot actually! But there is no job in the world, where frustration doesn't pay a visit. No matter what you do, no matter how you do it, Murphy's law will apply at some certain points. Of course, everyone that has more complains than pleasures in its own line of work, should think of changing a profession very soon. As it is, I have plenty of fun in my work.

And to add another 2009 frustration: When I had to deliver a wedding in a couple of days and my render computer's OS went dead leaving me in shock and awe.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Trustee

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-def...ml#post1457670
Quote:
And to add another 2009 frustration: When I had to deliver a wedding in a couple of days and my render computer's OS went dead leaving me in shock and awe.
Sorry Dimitris, I couldn't resist! :-)

EDIT: Actually, I can add an original frustration of my own - being told NOT to film at a wedding when I had an XH-A1 and an HV-30 and all the gear with me, and no one else was doing it.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #18
Major Player

:-) I had forgotten about that thread! But the truth is that when that happened, it was Vista that caused the collapse! Since I updated to 7, it's rock solid!
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #19
Major Player

I will say getting a few of these style emails in a day is a bummer;

"...Please update me as soon as possible as my mom is getting a bit upset being she has already paid you half of the cost and we have nothing to show for it. Please respond ASAP with a status update."
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Good for you Tom!!

Yep I actually love my job too!! It's something we enjoy doing, we almost always get a good meal and free non-alcoholic drinks and we meet ton's of interesting people. However you must encounter a few problems that you can laugh about later!! I used to stress out when they didn't give me a table but now going with the flow is much easier. This way problems become minor!!

My last wedding before Christmas the B&G were invited to sit while the bible readings were done and the groomsmen carefully placed a pair of chairs so the back of one was actually touching my lens hood and the groom's hairy head filled the LCD !!! I really had to laugh about it as I just couldn't believe that someone could be so stupid!!! (the readings were done with my second cam..handheld for a full 15 minutes and it's mid Summer here!!!)

However it's good to see that frustration is global!!!

Chris
Back before I even starting getting paid to film events, I was asked to film a community college event at the school I was attending. The school had all the video equipment (an old VHS Camera a tripod). I set it up and let it capture long periods of time during the event with no action. The guy that wanted the event recorded walked into the view of the camera and turned so all you could see was the back of his head. What made matters worse was his gleaming bald spot on the top of his head. Later when we watched the video we were shocked and laughing till it hurt. He must have been embarassed big time. I love Video!!!
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques