Anyone have ideas about camera focusing on the Glidecam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone have ideas about camera focusing on the Glidecam?

When shooting on the Glidecam, my older Sony Z1 did great with its CCDs for auto focusing...at least most of the time. With the Newer Z5 camera, it uses CMOS chips and is a bit slower to focusing. Anyone have any ideas about how to get the best shots?

I ve thought of setting the focus and staying the same distance away, but most of the shooting I do involves changing around alot. When things are well lit its not too bad, but I would like to know what others are doing or ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Silas

I set my cam to full auto and then just shoot but then again I do run around a lot so manual focus would be tricky!!! It's hard enough trying to keep my legs from buckling after 60 minutes in the vest!!!!

Admittedly I do have CCD's and I have noticed that CMOS are slow to focus but surely with wideangle shots the camera will focus quick enough???? If not I would just shoot tons of footage during the photoshoot and you are sure to get a lot of useable clips???

(I just use a Stedicam during the photoshoot doing 360 run-arounds etc etc..it's not used at the ceremony at all!!)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Thats true....having it as wide as possible isnt bad. Its mainly in low lighting that its even an issue at all. The Z5 works great in low light. And it is very similar to the CCD Z1 camera....just a tad slow in focusing.

I also run around alot. There would be no way to manual focus what I do. I am wondering how things will look in HD tho!? In HD you see everything that not in focus about 10x better LOL
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Trustee

You guys should try the dslr on the glidecam... full manual focus, ultra shallow dof, and non-articulating viewfinder. Yikes! After using one of those, something as simple as a tilting vf seems like a dream. The only thing you can do in that case is stop down a little, to buy a little dof, and try to maintain distance... oh, and a little prayer doesn't hurt.
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Major Player

What is the Dr Camera? I am not familar with it
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
What is the Dr Camera? I am not familar with it
DSLR - Canon 5DMK2, 7D, etc...
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Trustee

on steadicam I always shoot in autofocus, just don't forget to turn IS (image stabilizer) off
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Does the IS make a difference in Focusing or just the blurring from the motion of the image?
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Trustee

Usually you turn the IS off as it fights the motion of the camera.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #10
New Boot

I would think you would want to turn it "on" so it would make the entire picture even more fluid and stable... Am I missing something?
Joel Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Ken is correct that image stabilizatoin should be off when using a steadicam / glidecam. It assumes you are trying to hold the camera steady and fights the very movement you are trying to do.

I have Sony V1U's I use with a Glidecam 4000HD and a Flycam 5000 arm and vest. Even though it has CMOS sensors I have been very successful leaving it on automatic focus. Only in the most dim of lighting situations have I seen the autofocus "hunt". I edit around that as I am usually shooting with two cameras.

I don't see how you can manually focus while on the run with a steadicam / glidecam rig. I know some pro's do it but many have a seperate focus puller.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques