What would you use 3D for in wedding video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 29th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #16
Major Player

>Glasses are not required at all provided that you go with a "cross-eye" format.

That reminds me of Steve Martin in The Jerk where his invention made everyone cross-eyed and got sued.

Distribution is the tricky part, at least on the web, because few people will have the glasses.
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM   #17
Trustee

At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, if in 5-10 years we'll have to offer 3D as the next big thing to be able to appear cutting edge to our clients then I'll just have to close up shop. I'm growing weary of gimmicks, and chasing the next big thing. Why can't skill with a camera and decent story telling ability be enough?

It's a repeating pattern, there was the 'wipe & title' phase of the 90's, the 'color grading' phase of the early 2000's, the 'DOF' phase from 2006 - 2010, and now what? The 3D phase of 2011-2020? It's getting tiresome.

*Addendum*

Also, if I may clarify, I'm not against using new techniques of production, I'm simply railing against the tendency to use them for the sake of using them. If it honestly adds something to the finished work, then sure, use it, but if it's just a fad that helps sell packages then forget about it.

-Ethan Cooper

Last edited by Ethan Cooper; January 30th, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #18
Major Player

Don't worry. We'll soon go retro and start doing B/W VHS video.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #19
Trustee

Denny - I'm waiting for 4x3 to come back into fashion for it's retro look. Just wait, someone will try it.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Personally I find 3D to be mostly a gimmick. Sure it's cool to see, but for me it doesn't really add much to a film in terms of getting immersed in the film. The story and characters do that for me.

In terms of a wedding film, I feel all this still applies.
That says it all. When or if 3D can be used to enhance the story and characters, it might be a useful tool. But that can be said for other tools as well. For example, shallow depth of field can greatly improve a production if properly used. If not, it can be an irritating distraction. The same can be said about many of the tools and production styles that are available to us. In due time, 3D may mature as a useful tool as well IF it can be used to help tell the story in way that people enjoy. But that is the acid test for the use of other tools as well.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Major Player

I think 3D weddings is going to be popular in about 5 years time. far too early at the moment and no one has yet got one of those lovely new 3D TVs which are going to hit the market in 2010.

But there's no time like now to make a start. A few weeks ago I registered 3D-weddings.co.uk, because if it does take off, I will have a decent domain name to sell rather expensive wedding packagaes through! ( someone had already nobbled 3dweddings.co.uk)

What I think will happen is we will get cameras from Sony and Panasonic with two lenses built in. I think I have already seen a mock up from Panasonic. And remember, you just use one camera for straight foward SD or blu-ray dvds, and the two combined for 3D. Whether it's a gimick or not, I will definately be one of the first to offer 3D weddings in the UK, and will charge a premium for it.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:23 PM   #22
Major Player

From what I understamd. 3d is not staright forward to shoot for.
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:24 AM   #23
Regular Crew

My next wedding will be shot in green screen and takes place on Pandora ;)
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #24
Major Player

Is this the new economy? Green screened wedding to make it look like they flew everyone to Fiji?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:06 PM   #25
Major Player

Maybe the next big thing is the ultra-retro return to the non-speaking movies. In high definition. :) Regarding 3D though, I think we're going to try something bizarre into 2010! We'll see...
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #26
Major Player

Ooh, I like that. I wouldn't have to sync sound. ;o)
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #27
Major Player

I plan on providing holodeck services in 2025.
Denny Lajeunesse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques