Best locations for multiple camera viewpoints during the ceremony - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
One thing to keep in mind when you consider camera placement is that the audience usually stands during the processional and recessional. Some camera angles may be blocked while people are standing.
That's way I bring a ladder(3-steps) and set my tripod high so I get a clear shoot with no-one blocking me even if people are standing, I also do that at the reception.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Inner Circle

going to the rehearsal is a great thing to do but keep in mind things change and may not be what they were the night before. As I always say, a wedding is like a breaking news event. Things happen fast and they happen once. Always got to be ready for anything.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Mike, I would say it probably didn't change anything for people working there later on, because it was the MOB that raised the ruckus and I would have to guess it was the church she and her family attended so she had some pull, but in general, if you or I did that, the end result of the conversation might not be so good and while I have never in 26 years been banned from a venue I know of a few that have been because when you piss off the guy wearing the collar bad things can and usually will happen. Now there are venues that I choose not to work in anymore because of stupid rules that are in place some because of videographers and or photographers that pushed the bounds and limits and ticked someone off. So they changed the rules and made it hard on everyone.
So I guess in your paticular case everything worked out well but from what I know of and have heard of, generally, not so much.
Gotta agree completely.. Yea... I would NEVER step on toes. I ALWAYS ask where I can and can't be and abide by those rules. Even in that case, when I found out I couldn't put a cam up front, I didn't make a fuss, I just though "Oh well... I better tell the wedding coordinator." I did and the MOB went nuts.. hehe.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
One thing to keep in mind when you consider camera placement is that the audience usually stands during the processional and recessional. Some camera angles may be blocked while people are standing. You may still want to place a camera where it will be blocked when people are standing because of the useful vantage point while they are seated but you need to plan to have at least one camera in a location that won't be blocked while the audience is standing.
We started going to rehearsals from the beginning over 8 years ago. Now, I really don't need to attend the rehearsal as I usually know how things will go, but we keep going for two reasons: 1.. Just in case! You never know if something crazy is planned.
2) The couple see it as a bonus. They get to meet you again. They feel like you are taking extra steps to make their day perfect. It's a selling point.
Finally, I usually bring a camera and shoot some of the rehearsal to put on the DVD as an extra. It doesn't cost me anything, and it's a bonus for them.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques