what scanner to use for scanning pics to montage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 5th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

what scanner to use for scanning pics to montage

i'm looking for a good scanner that i can use for both my montage work and for graphics work i have a budgest of about $150-250 and i beleive i should be able to get something really nice for this price. speed is really important as i dont have an assistat yet and i'm starting out so i have to do everything myself.
what is your suggestions?
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I hate taking pics from people's homes, risk of damage or loss just worries me. Sp I use my 4MP digital cam to copy them, and quality is more than adequate, considering resolution of DV is more like 1/3 MP.
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I have an epson stylus all-in one, and like the features and results. What I don't like, is the fact it has continuous errors after 4-6 months. It cost around $150, so it was decently priced, but I'll not risk this again with another epson product. HP next time ;)
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You don't need anything fancy, just use an $80 HP ScanJet. Be sure to scan all photos at 600 dpi or greater and you're golden.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
I hate taking pics from people's homes, risk of damage or loss just worries me. Sp I use my 4MP digital cam to copy them, and quality is more than adequate, considering resolution of DV is more like 1/3 MP.
I'm with you on not removing their keepsakes from their possession (or even sight). I just wish there was a scanner that didn't require being actively hooked to a computer. You know, scan three dozen objects into memory and then download them when reconnected to USB.

Even though a digital still cam has higher resolution, I get better results on most photos and documents with a flatbed scanner. Always compromises.
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #6
Trustee

Why bother with a flatbed scanner? Ever do a hundred or more photo's on one? Your just wasting valuable time. Do it the old fashioned way before PC based scanners. Get a flat board with the digital camera mounted on a short bar, facing downwards and shoot as fast as you can place'em.

I have a Powershot G5 with manual focus and a flip-out LCD, which makes loading and shooting a snap.

A trip to the local hardware store will make for a fun, easy project. A piece of glass on hinges does wonders to keep photo's flat.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #7
Inner Circle

when u offer the scanning and digitisation as a part of the package a scanner coms in quite handy.. ours has paid itself off tenfold.. on top of that the ability to offer high res scans on cd along with screen grabs from tape is another product one can offer ot the client....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I purchased an HP5530 scanjet a little over a year ago. I do a lot of photo montage work that requires scanning hundreds of photos. The 5530 has a feeder that will automagically feed up to 4X6". It will comfortably scan up to about 8.5 X 12 if you hand-place.

I have never had a mis-feed or damaged photo using the feeder. I always hand place old or fragile photos. Generally I sort the pictures so that they all have the same orientation, put 20-25 in the feeder, press the "go" button and walk away for five minutes. I've probably scanned over 2,000 pictures with it. I don't remember the exact cost, but I think it was around $200+.

Oh yeah - it also will scan negatives and 35mm slides.

It's a great little workhorse.

Update - I just looked on the HP website - looks like the 5530 is retired. But the 4570 Scanner ($130 list price) and the C9926A Automatic Photo Feeder ($150 list) looks like it gets you to the same place.

jc

You mean I can get paid to do this?

Last edited by John Cloy; July 15th, 2005 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Update product info
John Cloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm using a Canon 9950F and am very pleased with it. Since its Firewire, it scans very quickly compared to the days of old, has a great dust/scratch remvoal system, and the software is fairly good too. For example, you can lay down a number of pictures on the flat bed at the same time, press scan and it will automatically identify and scan each individual picture. I think it was pretty pricey if I remember (about $400) but for the money its worth it.

Patrick
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques