How does it feel to go Tapeless? tell me about your experience - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Barringer View Post
Do any of these video cameras have dual card slots that can record to both cards at the same time? My Nikon D3s has dual CF card slots. It can record to both cards, creating an immediate backup for stills only.
No, but the nanoflash does... which is one major reason so many pros are gravitating toward it. Many of us were hoping for a firmware update from Sony that allows this. That would allow me to stop dragging out my Firestore, and shooting HDV every time I have to record a live event.
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Been reading with interest, ready to move but it is the price that is keeping me from doing it...

I love technology, love the latest thing but as everyone here feel a sense of fear at going tapeless.

Saw some comments on RAID, I have a RAID 5 array that I use to store current files/projects/anything business related and I run it on a server.

It is suprising how many PCs now offer RAID built in but be aware, these PCs only offer RAID 0 or 1 (or 0+1 as often known)

RAID 0 is useless in terms of security, it only stripes the drives to make the PC perform faster. RAID 1 is full tolerance, it mirrors the drive, so this means you have to get for example 2 x 500GB identical drives and you will only have 500GB of storage.

RAID 5 allows the drives to split the contents across multiple drives, typically if you had 4 200GB drives, you would have 550GB rather than 800GB of space as each drive contains a portion of the others.

Now to do this you need to have a RAID card, and not just buy a PC that has RAID on the motherboard.

Might be telling you something you already know, but I was a happy bunny when this was explained to me, hope it helps someone make a decision....
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I don't understand what going tapeless has to do with RAID. Or maybe I am just missing something.
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #34
Major Player

If you are shooting tapeless having RAID's is the best way to do it for security and speed.
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
If you are shooting tapeless having RAID's is the best way to do it for security and speed.
So, if I am shooting on tape, RAID is not the best way to go for security and speed? Honestly, I don't call having my only copy of my files physically in the same machine secure at all. It can be faster. I'll grant that.
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
No, but the nanoflash does... which is one major reason so many pros are gravitating toward it. Many of us were hoping for a firmware update from Sony that allows this. That would allow me to stop dragging out my Firestore, and shooting HDV every time I have to record a live event.
I read the User Guide for the new Sony NXCAM-N5U. On page 24 it looks like it can record HD to the flash card and the optional 128GB flash drive at the same time. Can anyone confirm this?
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #37
Major Player

We took a major power hit during the last east coast snow storm. Multiple components in my PC got fried -even though I had a surge protector. I had my current project files backed up to 2 seperate drives but both were connected and and running at the time of the power surge. Needless to say I was very nervous that both drives may have been taken out. Fortunately that was not the case but going forward, one of my backups will be to a portable drive that I will disconnect when not in use.
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #38
Major Player

I think that's a pretty good idea right there Art.

I'm still on tape, but I think when I do go tapeless, the best (and increasingly affordable as hard drives get larger and cheaper) way is to have a combination of:

(1) Copy footage off cards to your editing computer which has say Raid 1 and 4TB physical storage, yielding 2TB working space.

(2) Copy footage off cards to a removeable 500GB USB 3.0 drive which is put in storage until the project is complete.

Now, I have no idea how big HDV/AVCHD etc files are because I still am on the 13GB/hr miniDV standard. haha. But, I'm just guessing 500GB would be enough to store all the raw files for a typical HD wedding project. If you can go smaller, then great.
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
Now, I have no idea how big HDV/AVCHD etc files are because I still am on the 13GB/hr miniDV standard. haha. But, I'm just guessing 500GB would be enough to store all the raw files for a typical HD wedding project. If you can go smaller, then great.
HDV is roughly the same as DV. That's why you can use the same tapes. AVCHD will be slightly less.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques