What to buy.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:19 AM   #16
Major Player

buy a pair of USED HMC150s and call it done. in fact, buy all used gear.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Michael,

It is great that Sony has decided to include XLR inputs on their consumer line. Our local rep is going to have the NX5 at our local PVA meeting next week. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

On paper the NX5 looks great. Without seeing it in person, the biggest negative I see is the partials associated with rolling shutter and CMOS, but not everyone has a "problem" with seeing partials everytime a camera flash goes off...a personal preference thing.
Yeah pretty amazing that it took Sony this long to finally include XLRs in their prosumer lineup. We'll see if this continues or if it's a one time trial. I hope that the AX2000 does well so Sony can continue to include XLRs in their prosumer lineup. If this is a test, then I don;t know how well it will work, as there isn't enough of a price difference between the NX5/AX2000, which might lean many towards the NX5. So sales might not be what Sony hopes it will be. Since these cameras are basically the Z5/FX1000 in AVCHD form, the low light ability of the cameras will be top notch, so no worries there. And from what I have seen of the AVCHD codec, it seems very robust.

I hear you on the rolling shutter, but to me like others it's not a deal breaker as you see it all of the time on network tv alone.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Once you figure out the camera you want, make sure you get a good tripod ;) I don't think anyone's mentioned that yet! You'll want to pay good money for a good tripod too, because it'll pay off in the long run.

Along with your wireless mic and audio recorders, a good shotgun mic would be nice for your roaming camera. I'm not knowledgeable with mics, but I have a RODE NTG2 and that seems to have great reviews everywhere.

A steadicam is also nice to use, but only if it fits your budget and if you have the time to practice it. It depends on your filming style if you even want it in the first place.

Lastly, with regards to post-production, here's a great site to check out. It may be a tad outdated but it'll give you a start: Build Your Own HD WorkstationMike Curtis, Mike Curtis, Mike Curtis
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:40 AM   #19
New Boot

Sorry, I posted the message in the wrong thread. Unable to delete this message.
Need help on what to buy, pls check alternative thread.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ed-advice.html

Sorry for the confusion.
Tom

Last edited by Tom Truong; March 3rd, 2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: posted in wrong thread.
Tom Truong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques