Two way radio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Two way radio

Well I've had an Eartec system for three or so years. I've been largely disappointed in it, the earpieces are brutal on the ears when you add monitoring earphones for audio. The reception has been disappointing as well.

Does anyone use a motorola system or anything. I'm just looking for other systems people use.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi, I use the MOTOTKLR T7 with the ear-piece and push to talk mic (you can set to auto but this is next to useless when speaking quitely)

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the range...even more so when compared to the therotical 1km..... they must have bene standing on two mountain tops when they worked that figure out...

In addition, I thought I would get a lot of benefit out of them when filming weddings. But I am sure you have the same issues, you really cannot talk that much during a ceremony when IMO that is when they would be most useful...

Sure they are handy to organise who goes where when things get 'dynamic' but I get most use out of them when filming other type of events such as dance shows or theatre performances. I have often had issues with tapping into the house system (is it just me or do sound and lighting engineers have communication issues?) so I like the fact that I do not have to rely on anyone else.

So for a cheap option, as long as you dont expect to be a few 100 meters apart the motorolas are good, battery life is excellent, they come with a docking charger and they are not too expensive.
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Trustee

Would you consider using 2 wireless microphone sets? Simply swap the transmitters, clip on your mics, plug in earphones, and both of you will be able to speak and hear each other crystal clear, full time duplex. I had 2 pairs of Sony UTX-B1s laying around, works terrific as intercoms!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques