How do you guys pitch ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Major Player

How do you guys pitch ideas?

I know that there are plenty of ways to approach this. But I want to know what the most of you guys do when pitching a storyboard idea. Do you use storyboard programs? Do you try to explain what your visualizing in your head? Pictures?
I've seen some very impressive STD or love story videos that I know must have been a project to pitch to B&G.
Looking for any advice.
AS far as programs... All I have is the hitchcock application on my iphone. I would be better off though taking pics and making something come together in FCP.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think storyboarding is incredibly useful. That said, my sketching skills are horrible, so I generally prepare a rough script first and then verbally describe (pitch) the idea to the couple. Sometimes I storyboard some of it for myself, but I'd probably never show the couple because they wouldn't have a clue what I drew. d;-)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I pitch the idea/concept, not really the shot-by-shot storyboard.

After they agree with the idea, I will storyboard it out for my sake, not the clients. I draw ugly stick figures and keep it simple, only enough detail to get the point across.

I couldn't justify spending too much time on a making a really nice storyboard to have a client look at it for 10 seconds and go "okay, whatever you think".
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Simple - use the communication skills that you have and ignore those you lack. Like Travis I can't draw worth a toffee so I use words to describe my "pictures". One a couple of occasions when pitching a script I played some appropriate backing music on a tape as I read the pitch. The clients liked it but they might also have liked some pictures if I could draw!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Stephen,

I agree with Philip on this one. I never draw storyboards to pitch to my clients.

I merely just use words to pitch to them and luckily they are usually convinced :P

It is how you tell them I guess... if you tell them the story with a lot of passion and optimism.. then they would believe in you and spend the $$$ :P

Santo
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey guys...

Thanks for getting back with me. I have that "fun couple" that i've been waiting for. She has a couple of ideas but I wanted to build off of them without scarring her away (from my ideas at least).
Hopefully I'll be able to describe in detail with words what I have pictured in my head.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques