Oddest wedding participant at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Oddest wedding participant

I attended a wedding fair last Sunday at which one of the exhibitors was a Bird Wrangler.

It appears a new fashion has been started by a local soccer player (bear in mind this is Manchester) who's perhaps spent too long watching Harry Potter movies and has maybe too much money in his budget. This is to have a white owl (Snowy Owl?) fly from the back of the church down the aisle with the rings in its beak.

Obviously this means the Best Man has to wear a heavy leather gauntlet over his white suit, though if that was white too perhaps it wasn't too incongruous.

Apart from all the possible mishaps which one could imagine, some of which I suppose one could avoid by not feeding the bird immediately before the wedding, the Best Man wearing a gauntlet must make the steadicam operator feel less conspicuous.

There's a 19th century saying in the UK that what Manchester does today, London thinks tomorrow. I hope for the sakes of my London colleagues it's no longer applicable.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Philip

I have seen plenty of doves and butterflies but never an owl!!

I trust the doors to the Church are securely closed otherwise the ceremony will become a treasure hunt in the nearby woods.

There are probably plenty of other wonderful stories about strange wedding ceremonies that could entertain us for hours!! Anyone else had a strange custom or ritual ???

I'm sure the owl would take first place as the strangest ring-bearer???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Did you get that in 3D?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:35 AM   #4
Trustee

No (smile). I was actually there to record part of the catwalk show in 3D so I have something to demonstrate next Sunday when I'm exhibiting at a WF at Manchester Airport Marriott Hotel. I don't do Easter weddings (I visit my son in Korea) so the first wedding I have to record in 3D is after the WF season here ends.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have done recently also a wedding in Belgium with a harry potter owl that brings the ring and some eagles.
It was really nice.
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:24 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

So it is a trend after all!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Trustee

ugh. yet more monetary distractions and additions to weddings that take budget away from a professionally recorded wedding movie / video. Though I suppose if a bride & groom are that interested in owls / HP, there isn't likely to be much to dissuade them.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
So it is a trend after all!
You're right Chris, it might be a trend; please God it doesn't become a parliament.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques