Wedding Discounts and staying firm with prices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Discounts and staying firm with prices

Does anyone ever offer discounts, accept negotiations?

I may be wrong but the cheap skates are usually the people you don't want to deal with even if they pay the full amount, is that correct?

Let me hear your thoughts
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think the answer depends on your target client. For us, our prices are firm. We don't offer discounts or allow negotiation. Why? Well, for starters, we don't really want to work with anyone who doesn't feel like our work is worth our stated prices. If they feel our work is only worth a discounted version of that pricing, then they will never truly appreciate what they are paying for and could easily become a problem client down the road. The other reason is we sell our product on the emotional value, not on the price value. We want our couples to focus on what elements they want, not on how they can score a better deal.

That said, there is certainly something to be said for designing your prices with wiggle room. I know certain cultures are big on negotiating a deal, and if your prices are firm you are going to turn them off. For example, Indian couples generally like to negotiate and feel like they got a better deal. Not allowing them to do so could likely cost you those gigs.

So you need to identify your target client and what their needs are, and determine what is going to work best for you.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Great answer - exactly what I was trying to find out.

I have a father of a bride trying to get me to give him a discount but at this point I don't even want the job. He went from wanting 33% off to wanting $50 off my smallest wedding package. The package is only $895 to start with and for what it includes is a great deal.

I think I'll let this go unless I get convinced that I want this job for some reason. Its not for 4 months and I could probably fill the date with something else in that time I think.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Silas, you know this is my second year and I've learned to say no right away. You of all people shouldn't be offering a discount. Your packages are a steal bro.

I bought this Sales Call script from a videographer who charges a ton of money for his weddings, there is a section on that and I've memorized it! It works every time.

I love saying no. It feels better then being burned "for $50"
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I will never give discounts.
My main reason is just that if one couple pays a certain amount for a package and another couple pays more for the same.
If for some reason they hear this, they will feel bad about it.
For me is just 1 price for all ... if they especially want your video and they can afford it, they will pay it and don't mind a 50 Us$ discount.
Bart Wierzbicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Silas

I DO have 'Winter Specials' here to drum up future business BUT the discounted prices are fixed and the brides are encouraged to book earlier than usual. However I never offer any discount on my advertised price!! EVER!! The moment someone wants to haggle, you know that it's going to be bad news!! Even if it's a small discount you give them, they are going to ask for even more and it will never end.
I just tell them no..my prices are final ...you are welcome to get a family member to shoot your wedding but if you want me, that's my price!

Stick to your guns..if you do a job for way less than it's value your heart won't be in it!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Usually the question about discounts includes a reason why they feel one might be allowed, such as a Friday or Sunday wedding or an event which occurs in the off-season. Some people read in bridal magazines that you can't get a discount if you don't ask. This is my stock answer.

"Do you offer discounts?"
If I could take on an unlimited amount of work I can see how I would be able to offer incentives for Fridays and Sundays and "off-season" dates, but because editing is so time-consuming I can take on a limited number of events per year. As a result, regardless of what time of the year or what day the wedding lands on, when I reach my limit I refer inquiries to other videographers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
Does anyone ever offer discounts, accept negotiations?

I may be wrong but the cheap skates are usually the people you don't want to deal with even if they pay the full amount, is that correct?

Let me hear your thoughts
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The only discount I will offer is to members of the armed forces. As a veteran myself, I know how hard it can be for them to come up with the money in many cases and have even done a couple at no charge, but that's just me.
Other than that there is no discount.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Major Player

I used to in the beginning but not since last year. The problem with discount is that those are the people that complain the most.

I don't think it's cultural specific. Although I agree south asians do ask for deals but not everyone. I have had almost every single race asking for discount and at times I have lost business which is fine.

However, there are very few occasions, when you don't necessarily offer discounts but take away few items to make it look like it's lower price. And I only do that if I know this client has the personality to make pre-wedding or wedding video look good, it's chirpy, bubbly etc...and believe me those tricks have flourished a wave of clients for me.

But do yourself a favor, don't sell yourself short. Because if you don't take your work seriously and don't feel it's good enough to get what you want, no one will care at all.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Major Player

I too am firm on my prices. Not to say I haven't offered discounts in the past under unique circumstances (i.e. week days, friends of friends, etc.), but I feel that discounting only shows the client how much value you put in your own product.

I cannot emphasize more that typically, those that want it for less will, in the end, expect more. The saying applies "Wine taste on a beer budget".
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Major Player

I may have forgot to mention that I dont accept $50 discounts for no reason.
I am firm with my prices but just wondered if other get the same low ball nonsense.

Thanks for the comments!
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #12
Trustee

I share the view that once established, giving a discount yet doing the full job is not good business.

But there are people in this world, wedding planners especially who proclaim that the whole business runs around price. There's an "online wedding planner" in the UK - I decline to give them publicity but let's say they sound like they can't decide if they're in the wedding business or the drinks trade - which starts every online search with "maximum price" and "minimum price".

These people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

(PS I also find stores advertising "all shirts reduced" very annoying. I like a 20" neck for comfort and anything less is very restricting.)
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Major Player

Yeah the whole low price people thing is horrid.
I never reduce my prices but I am shocked at the nerve of people. Its usually people who don't know anything like the father of the bride or the groom. Haha.
I ve had couples change their "budget" to way higher after they see my sample videos however!
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Do you know what works well? Put your prices up by 30%, then offer a 30% discount.

People love to think there getting a high value product for the price of the cheap guys. This only works up to a point. Those wanting to pay a high price will continue to do so. but if your in the budget leagues then this is very good.

Just goto a department store and look how the ladies go nuts over a bargain. doesnt matter if they like it, the fact is its reduced.

Travis is right though. It depends on the culture. UK, people love a bargain but we dont haggle. Its rare someone haggles. People will hint that they have a certain budget but rarely ask for money off. You have to read them and offer it if you see fit. But if you publicly just say its 30% off then they come streaming in.
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Major Player

I give "off season discounts" and emphasize that on the receipt or contract. Most banquet halls charge lower prices during the off season or even on a Sunday reception. I have 2 December shoots lined-up that I discounted. I could use the money on during the Holidays.

Giving discount as opposed to being low balled is different though. " I really like your work but I only have this budget set aside" sounds better than " Uncle Bob says he can shoot it for half the price can you beat that?"

my 2 cents

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques