Best Camera under $4000.00 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 11th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Best Camera under $4000.00

I am going to replace my Sony EX1r with a camera in the $3000-$4000 range and know this changes almost weekly so asking your advice. Would love to be at the 3K mark with good low light, but may not be possible.

I am photographer first, but have upgraded to (2) 1D IV's and a 5D II and will use these along with one video camera at the back of the church.

I do limited video, shooting mainly for a highlight video with solid video for ceremony. I do have a Sony PMC-D50 as an audio backup.

I have used the Canon XH-A1, loved the camera hated the tape but at the time was trying to do 3 camera coverage and 3 tapes was killing me.

Looking for something that will mix well with DSLR video.

I know many get sick of which camera questions, but as the new cameras come out, so dont things like focus issues and dependability.

Sony Z5U looks good and can be upgraded to digital capture later, but with all the Dslr, may be over kill too.
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Major Player

The new Sony NXCAM HXR-NX5U?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Have you considered the Panasonic HMC150?

Full disclosure: I haven't used the camera because I went VDSLR and would never go back, but if I were to buy a camcorder I would take a good, long look at the HMC150.

XLR inputs / Records to SD cards / Light weight / CCD, not CMOS / 24p

Sounds like a fair option in that price range to me.

I'm not sure how well it will mix with the DSLR video, but if mixing seamlessly with the VDSLRs is important, your best bet is probably the EX1 you already own.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Major Player

get a used HMC150. best bang for the buck. you should be able to find one in the $2600
range. get an extra big battery and you're good to go.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys,
I do realize if there is not a lot of savings, need to just keep the EX1r, when I look at the Z5 w/MRC1 and Z7 I realize I am getting to close to what I would get out of the EX1r, I also have to look at what I would pay in ebay and paypal fees, sometimes not saving as much as I think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques