what spec laptop for SDEs, editing in general at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 17th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Major Player

what spec laptop for SDEs, editing in general

Hi guys,

Im looking to get a laptop to edit SDEs on,

What spec of laptop are folks using for SDEs or editing in general?

Would this one cope?

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

(its HDV editng)

cheers

james
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi James,

It will partially depend on what NLE you are using. I can only speak for Edius and I get great real time performance with HDV footage from a Core 2 Duo 2.0 with two gb of ram.

Some general things to think about is the hard drive. I can edit from the system drive with Edius, but I get much better performance from a different drive. I noticed the laptop listed had a 5400 RPM drive. This may or may not be okay for a system drive, but it will not be acceptable for editing HDV footage. I know, I know, many say not to edit from the system drive, which is true, but I can on Edius with a 7200 RPM drive.

Speaking of hard drives, you could consider a laptop with two internal drives. My current laptop has two 500 gb drives and it is wonderful, but two internal drives comes at a price. A cheaper alternative is an external drive, and you will get much better performance from an eSATA drive going through the eSATA connection versus using the USB connection. If the laptop you are looking at does not have an eSATA connection look for an express card slot. You can get an Express card slot that has a couple of eSATA jacks and this will give you the speed you need to edit HDV, or at least it does with Edius.

As far as RAM goes, I just had 2 Gbs of DDR2 RAM when I was editing HDV and it was fine for Edius. When I got our latest laptop for editing AVCHD, I made sure I had 6 Gb of DDR3 RAM.
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Trustee

A screen resolution of 1366x768 is pretty low for any editing software I use (Vegas, Premiere, After Effects.)

I'd move up to the Studio 17. It supports two internal drives. I'd also go with the i7 processor. Actually, I did just that and it arrives tomorow. I went with the full HD (1920x1080) screen.

I see right now you can move up to the Studio 17 for only £100 more. It still has pretty much the same specs as the one you linked, but it has a larger 1600x900 screen, and that extra screen real estate is very valuable for video editing.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply

Last night when I posted, the link I put in took you to a build that came to £530.

that price has gone up to to £630 now, so the one you've suggested is £200 more than the one I listed (although the one I listed has gone up £100)

Ah well,

back to drawing board
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Trustee

Is there a UK equivalent to the Dell Outlet (www.delloutlet.com)? That's where I buy all my computers. They're 30%-50% less than regular price and carry the same warranty. I've purchased at least a dozen computers from the outlet and each has been indistinguishable from new.

The Studio 17 I'm receiving tomorrow cost $1070 (about £700.)

EDIT: Yes, there is: Dell Outlet - Refurbished Laptops & Desktops/PCs - Home & Home Office | Dell United Kingdom and I see a Studio 17 with great specs for under £500.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Major Player

"EDIT: Yes, there is: Dell Outlet - Refurbished Laptops & Desktops/PCs - Home & Home Office | Dell United Kingdom and I see a Studio 17 with great specs for under £500. "

Sorry to be a pain, but which one? I don't see it.

Also, processor wise, would I be better with a core i5 2.4 or a core i7 1.6 ?

Cheers

James
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
A screen resolution of 1366x768 is pretty low for any editing software I use (Vegas, Premiere, After Effects.) I'd move up to the Studio 17.
Studio 15s are available with 1920x1080 displays..even from the outlet. That's where I bought mine. Plenty of res for editing and for dot for dot playback. $500 like new with 1yr warranty.
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
"EDIT: Yes, there is: Dell Outlet - Refurbished Laptops & Desktops/PCs - Home & Home Office | Dell United Kingdom and I see a Studio 17 with great specs for under £500. "

Sorry to be a pain, but which one? I don't see it.

Also, processor wise, would I be better with a core i5 2.4 or a core i7 1.6 ?

Cheers

James
Dell Outlet inventory changes continuously. Keep checking. I was watching the inventory daily for two weeks before I found mine. You can only have a system in your cart for 15 minutes before it goes back into inventory. So figure out exactly what you want, then when you see it, buy it.

I don't know about the Euro Outlet, but here in the states, the inventory is updated twice an hour, at :00 and at :40 (give or take a few minutes.)

i7 is better than an i5.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Guys, thanks very much for the advice, especially about the dell outlet.

I got a Syudio 15 model
Studio 1557

4096MB (2x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

500GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)

Graphics 512 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HP 4570

Operating System English Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64 BIT)

6 cell 56W HR LI-ION Battery

Intel i7-720QM(1.6GHz)

Camera Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Camera

Grade 1 Scratch or Dent

8 X DVD +/- RW

Wireless Intel WiFi Link 5300 (802.11 a/g/n) Half Mini Card European

15.6 Widescreen Full High Definition (1920X1080) WLED with TrueLife

Black Chainlink

All for £530 including VAT & deliviery.

Chris' advice was spot on.

I checked it every day for the past week or so, waited till I got one that I liked, and then spapped it up.

The only thing it didn;t have was blu-ray, but that would have been a luxury.

I did a rough spec build on the regualr dell site, and this system would cost £1000 or more!!

Sure its from the outlet so it may have a few scratches or dents, but there wont be any on the screen, and I can live with a few scratches on the casing for £540!

Thanks again for the advice

Now I just have to wait for delivery!

James
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Trustee

Good on ya. Virtually the same specs I got except yours is 15.6" and mine is 17.3".

Mine also was a "scratch and dent" but the only hint of a scratch I see is what looks like a small scuff toward the top of the keyboard. You wouldn't notice unless you were told to look for it.

My laptop was ordered last Monday and delivered on Friday. Hopefully yours will arrive as fast or faster.

I don't know if this problem would affect the Studio 15, but mine would refuse to "wake up" after being in sleep mode for more than 20 minutes. After updating the BIOS and video driver to the latest versions, all was well.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Major Player

James

Your graphics processor could also be improved in my opinion. If your doing SDEs, you need a faster one especially if you will be using plugins.
Sigmund Reboquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Trustee

He's buying a laptop, therefore reducing his choice of video cards.

For the most part, high horsepower video cards are for gaming, not video editing. Pretty much the only thing a better video card would help with would be 3D effects, and you'd typically stay away from that kind of slow-rendering stuff in an SDE.

As long as the video card can drive the native resolution of the LCD panel, you're ok.

Besides, a 512MB ATI Radeon is no slouch.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM   #13
Major Player

Dell Alienware M15x with 1GB Nvidia video card and i3 processor ..6GB DDR3... 500GB SATAII 7,200RPM ..
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques