Wedding at Coco Palm, Pomona CA --> Terrible! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Wedding at Coco Palm, Pomona CA --> Terrible!

I just finished a wedding at Coco Palm Restaurant at Pomona CA last night. It was horrible.

Ceremony
- It's on top of a hill look over the I-10 freeway. No nice view and busy traffic noise
- There is no shade or tant or umbrella provided for the reception area. All the guests don't want to come sit down get grilled until the last minute.
- The only shaded area is the altar. It makes shooting extremely bad because of serious backlighting.
- Stair access everywhere only. Not good for elderly or people in wheelchair

Reception
- The decor of the reception room was plain.
- Big window all on one side. Making it back lighting on one side mixing with indoor color temp. Very tricky to get good shot.
- Food was terrible. We have chicken just like the guest have. Tasteless and dry.
- Around 8:55pm, all programme finished and open dance floor. Light was dimmed. Sharp at 9pm, they turn on all the light. Party is over.

The worst part, the owner of the place walked to each table to tell guest to leave.
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Many years ago I once shot an outdoor wedding ceremony in San Marcos, at the city park in the gazebo by the river. On the other side of the river: train tracks. Guess what happened just as the vows were exchanged? Train. Slowly moving. Whistle blowing loudly. As if on cue. What a groaner that was! Worst. Wedding. Ever.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

haha.. I have a similar experience at Universal Hilton here in Hollywood. But it was the police helicopter chasing runaway car. The officiant has to pause to wait till the helicopter went away.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I was going to suggest putting a review on Yelp,... but I see you already did.

That sounds allllll bad.

This posting even comes up on the front page of Google when you search Coco Palm Pomona.

They can't do anything about the noise, but shutting down like that. They should of just talked the coordinator and made announcement 15,10,5 min prior to closing.

9pm? Maybe the bride should of rented it out longer.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The bride said the place has a very strict rule. But it's just rude for the owner to walk to each table to tell guest to leave. 9pm on a saturday night? You know, they turn on all the ceiling light sharp at 9pm... that's a signal the party is over.
Old March 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Yikes! Do you ever contact all the vendors before the wedding day to get more info?
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

No.. that's the wedding planner's job. We just need to know where is the venue and go from there. This is the first time we worked at this restaurant.
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Trustee

Taky, You will get a kick about what "The Knot" has to say about them.

http://www.cocopalmrestaurant.com/weddings.htm

Needless to say, there's a lot of misleading information with the "Wedding Help" services. I guess in some circles money will buy you anything.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

oh woow.. by looking at those photos (and a slideshow linked from that site), I want to book my wedding there.

Still the fact is, there is no wheel chair access. I saw people helping their older relatives walked through all the stairs yesterday. I was carrying my gears on wheel... with my assistant's help, it's still quite tough to get through all the stairs.

The scene there is pretty, as long as you don't get close to the rail... as all you get is the busy I-10 freeway when look down, and hear the noise.

Maybe someone else love the scene there. But it doesn't change the fact that the unfriendly owner went to each table to ask the guest to leave at 9:05pm with his unfriendly tone and facial expression. 4 of us (2 videogs and 2 photogs) were standing in the corner waiting for the bride to pay us.. We were told to leave too.
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Needless to say, there's a lot of misleading information with the "Wedding Help" services. I guess in some circles money will buy you anything.
That is very true. In another thread I was talking about wedding planner asking us for referral. She cited other venue like resort, golf course all giving her 20% to 25% kick back.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques