Thoughts on replacement cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Thoughts on replacement cameras

So, I am currently shooting with a Canon GL2 and XL1s. Generally, I shoot alone and I wanted to find ways to be a bit more mobile, and also start shooting in HD. I've thought about the XH-A1, but I really want to get the best bang for my buck. So I thought of this crazy idea.

Use 2 HV-40's for the ceremony. Have a Canon 7D on hand to get some creative shots.

Then use the 7D for the reception only. I understand it's performs well under low light. My wife has her own wedding photography business and I am her second shooter, so the learning curve is not a problem.

Is this just crazy talk?

Thoughts...
Nick Avdienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well , the Canon T2i is 1/2 the price of the 7D and the image is just as good. The XHA1 will match up great with the T2i and give you what you need for continuous coverage. You can pick up a used XHA1 on the cheep and the T2i is under $800. Just my 2cents.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Nick,

You should have a back up option for the reception. The 7D and T2i will overheat and shut down during long takes in hot environments. I'd hate to have that happen during a special dance or toast and not have another camera at the ready or already running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Avdienko View Post
So, I am currently shooting with a Canon GL2 and XL1s. Generally, I shoot alone and I wanted to find ways to be a bit more mobile, and also start shooting in HD. I've thought about the XH-A1, but I really want to get the best bang for my buck. So I thought of this crazy idea.

Use 2 HV-40's for the ceremony. Have a Canon 7D on hand to get some creative shots.

Then use the 7D for the reception only. I understand it's performs well under low light. My wife has her own wedding photography business and I am her second shooter, so the learning curve is not a problem.

Is this just crazy talk?

Thoughts...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques