Dance Competition Workflow Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dance Competition Workflow Issue

Hello all.
I have a workflow question that I hope one of you could answer.

Last weekend, I filmed a ballroom dance competition. There were 1000+ heats, and in every heat, there were anywhere from 2 - 10 couples dancing on the floor. The men worn numbers on the back of their shirts.

My workflow thus far is each DV camera runs FireWire out (4-pin) to a Sony DVDirect, while simultaneously recording to a DV tape for backup. The DVDirect machine allows me to record each heat onto the DVD like a DV tape; I can hit record, pause, stop, and even eject it before finalizing the DVD at the end of the day.

My problem is this: The Sony DVDirect drives take about 30 - 40 seconds to eject a DVD and load a new DVD. This is far too long when I have to record two different couples in heats one right after another.
Does someone have an idea to help me with this issue?

I was thinking, if it was possible, to have a FireWire Splitter/Switcher, this way I could have 2 Sony DVDirect drives per camera, and have the cameramen just switch between the two machines. This would allow him to insert and prep a DVD before the couple is on the floor.

Do they make such a thing? I saw some amplified FireWire hubs; would this work?

Thanks in advance for your responses and insight - I'm a first time poster, long time reader of dvinfo.net
John Kopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

John,

I have looked at this workflow and it is tricky.

My first thought is to ask if the Sony deck has a Firewire output? Maybe you could daisy chain the units?

Or, this setup might be more secure by using a Firewire switcher and have the switcher feed the two DVD recorders.

As much as they sound like the perfect solution, I gave up on recording live events with DVD recorders. Events are just too unpredictable to deal with the rigid approach of the DVD recorders. Plus if you get a bum disc you are toast.

But the thought of sorting through 1000 heats after the fact does not sound good either!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques