Reception & Prewed Film Lighting Recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 30th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Reception & Prewed Film Lighting Recommendation

Hi guys, just trying to get some feedbacks. I'm new at pre-wed & wedding film. One of my struggle at the moments is deciding on lighting kit. I'm still depending on natural lights and low aperture on my lens. But I'm interested in getting a more professional image with good lighting.

My situation is:
a. On budget :(
b. I need lighting for wedding reception but without disturbing the ambience too much. Like if they have a romantic dim setting then I dont want my lights ruin that setting.
c. Portable(on battery) is preferred so that I can shoot late night on a park (for prewed film) without worrying whether there is AC plug around or not.

Any recommendation would greatly appreciated. Is it better on board lights or light stand?

What settings are you using? What would you recommend for someone starting?

Cheers,

Johannes
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi Johannes,
You might want to look into these:

The Wireless Wedding Reception Video Light - HOME

I don't have any experience with them yet, thought we are thinking about getting a pair. They seem like exactly what you are looking for from a portable lighting kit and they are remote controlled.

I think a combination of on board lights and light stands would be the best. Just make sure your on board light is dimmable. That way you can just use it to fill in if necessary.

It also depend on the equipment your using. If you plan on using a stabilizer such as a steadycam or glidecam, it is very difficult to do so with an onboard light. That is where the stand lights can come in really handy.

Stand lights are also great when you need to be inconspicuous. It really is the on board light that tends to draw a lot of attention to the camera from the guests.

Hope this helps!

-Michael
Michael Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Michael. Looks good although I don't really need the wireless function. Is there one cheaper without the wireless?

On reception I'm mostly on steadicam. Why do you think onboard light is difficult with it?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
My situation is:
a. On budget :(
b. I need lighting for wedding reception but without disturbing the ambience too much. Like if they have a romantic dim setting then I dont want my lights ruin that setting.
c. Portable(on battery) is preferred so that I can shoot late night on a park (for prewed film) without worrying whether there is AC plug around or not.
http://www.linkdelight.com/ sells $40 800W Red Heads - I use them for weddings and love them. As for being battery powered you might want to look at LEDs from Fluorescent HMI and LED Video Studio and Location Lighting - Cool Lights USA but then your budgets needs to stretch. Lighting a wedding without disturbing the ambiance is like asking to make pizza without the dough. I use to feel the same way but after seeing how impressive my end product looked with a properly lit reception I abandoned that idea, now I won't film unless I'm allowed to setup proper lights. During the speeches people are use to the idea of a spot light just don't keep the lights on all night.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I use a dimmable on-camera LED light on my b-cam during the reception and it works well!!

For the speeches the speaker is lit with a single softbox about 5 metres away from the lectern with 4 x50w CFL lights and that also seems to work very well with the main camera and I just use on on-cam LED light on the 2nd camera for guest cutaways.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Holy crap, and $200 for a complete 3-light kit! Are these guys for real? Please-please-please ship to Canada...
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Linkdelight.com: Great buys on Photography Accessories, Outdoor Equipments, Toys and More sells $40 800W Red Heads - I use them for weddings and love them.
Be careful. This company is located in China. They have mixed reviews on Reseller Rating. Linkdelight Limited - linkdelight.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Keep in mind that some favorable ratings on Reseller Rating are not real; some sellers submit fake ratings.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Jacques I have bought 4 800W Red Heads from them on two separate occasions and they deliver as promised but it's not FedEx with live tracking or anything, it's normal post for cheap. I have been using their lights for almost a year now and for the price it can't be beat. I will buy from them again.

I wrote a review as well.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-m...buy-these.html
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Stuff from China is usually nasty and cheap but I have to admit that some of it is awesome value. I bought two of the 126 LED lights here (It was $71 with delivery ..GOSH they have them at $21!!!) The lights are a little plastic looking and the fittings are a little flimsy but for the price they do a great job. I have used the LED light at around 6 weddings now...it if falls to pieces before the next gig it's STILL good value!!! At that price buying two is a good idea and if one starts falling apart toss it in the bin and use the other one!!

I bought a softbox (also made in China) from an eBay shop here for $99.00 That was a stand, a softbox, a 4 fitting head complete with cable and switchable banks AND 4 x 50w 5400K CFL lamps!!! At our local hardware store the best I can do for JUST the lamps is $27.00 each for 45W so buying just lamps locally costs more than the whole rig!!! I've been using that now since August so it's worked hard and is still great!!

Chris
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Major Player

Chris, I agree, buying from China isn't automatically a bad thing. There's a seller on ebay who sells Arri fresnel clones, they look exactly like the real thing but at a fraction of the cost: $250 for a 650w light, and shipping is free.

Can you message me the details about your ebay seller, if it's allowed?

J.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:06 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Jacques

Just do a search on eBay.com.au I found the softbox there ..a local guy was selling it but if definately is made in China. You will more than likely find the same on eBay anywhere ... I found that when I bought my Weifeng tripods it was cheaper to pick up the seller on the USA site (he was in Hong Kong) and shipped free anywhere.

The guy I bought from was "ce-technologies" on the Australian Site ...$99 for a 4 head light!!

Chris
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:15 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Chris. The Arri clone seller is steven.studio, on the US site. He also ships free worldwide.

J.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #13
Major Player

Bought a second hand 12VDC 100W onboard halogen light from eBay last weekend for A$15. Pretty happy! Hope it does a good job :)

I will look into those China made light set. Looks promising. Glad I don't have to spend a fortune on it!

Cheers!
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Major Player

I will never ever do On Board light again if I don't have too. Do what I did. I bought all these parts from B&H and put together my own Reception Lighting for about $180 a light. Trust me this is the only way to go.

1. Bescor Light KLK-50XT (comes with light and battery)
2. Bescor MM-7 12 volt battery pack (you need one or two of these extra batteries. i got two)
3. Manfrotto 368 11' Basic Light Stand ( these go up high enough to where they look like they are part of the lighting on the ceiling or from the DJ You DONT need the 13' stands) get two

4. Impact Shoe Mount Bracket SKU# IMBSM (These will connect the lights to the stands) get two

5. Get two 6' cigarette extensions. ( A must have so that the batteries will sit on the ground)

They will last about 2-3 hours (i'm always turning them on and off so I don't know the real time) and I just turn them on and off from where the cig lighter adapter connects. You just pull it half way out and it will turn off. You would only really need the wireless if you want the luxury of turning them on and off with a clicker. Could be useful when shooting weddings all by yourself.

These have made all my videos look so much better. I have never had a complaint but only BIG THANKS from the photographers cause it helps them too.

They are mobile so my assistant can quickly move one over to the where the cake is going to be cut.

I'm considering getting two more lights for those big dance floors or section of the reception you would like to light up. I can light up 20 tables in the room w one light and start shooting. I love these things to death. I couldn't live w/o them now.

I wattage is 50 and I haven't seen a use for putting dimmers on them.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Linkdelight.com: Great buys on Photography Accessories, Outdoor Equipments, Toys and More sells $40 800W Red Heads - I use them for weddings and love them. As for being battery powered you might want to look at LEDs from Fluorescent HMI and LED Video Studio and Location Lighting - Cool Lights USA but then your budgets needs to stretch. Lighting a wedding without disturbing the ambiance is like asking to make pizza without the dough. I use to feel the same way but after seeing how impressive my end product looked with a properly lit reception I abandoned that idea, now I won't film unless I'm allowed to setup proper lights. During the speeches people are use to the idea of a spot light just don't keep the lights on all night.
I have a few questions about the Red Heads, so you have a dimmer on them or are they full blast all the time... and are they sturdy and what not?

Thanks

David
David Grinnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques