far far away booking - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Trustee

I would have said "Normally we don't book more than one year in advance, but since it's only 13 months out, let's go ahead and book it."
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #17
AVPA

So if you do decide to go down the path of having a waiting list, what difference would it be than actually taking the booking?

When it comes to one year in advance, you would book them at the same price they enquired at. If they for eg wanted to book you 15mths in advance, put them on a waiting list and you decide to put your prices up - what price would you book them at?

I have heard of others quoting a price that would be relative to the year esp if it is very far in advance. Keep in mind that your reputation is ever increasing in oz so your demand will continue to grow. Unless you publicize your prices, you have the control. Be the leader of your business and not the clients...I'm sure like us, you have kicked yourself for booking at a certain price, giving so much for less $$$ b/c that's what they booked you at. A price increase of 10% is a realistic thing = if they want you, they will pay. Try it out...
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #18
Trustee

Actually, if I were concerned about family and personal commitments, I would have said "I'm sorry, I have not yet reconciled my personal and family activities that far out, so I can't say for sure if the date is available. Please give me your name and number and I will let you know in about a month."

Then call her back in a month.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #19
Trustee

Susanto, you seem to have a situation most people would die for - early bookings. Like most UK companies we often accept bookings more than two years in advance - and confirm them ie take a deposit and an signed contract, at today's price. That's called money in the bank. Businesses trade and raise loans against that sort of thing and it doesn't hurt the bank balance at all! Our prices rise each January 1st so early bookings are a win-win,

Of course you must plan your life - in our case my son is in the banking business and lives with his family overseas - in Korea at present. My wife works in school as well as with me. Those two considerations mean we must take our holidays at Easter. In consequence we don't take Easter bookings. We don't tell people that's what we're doing merely, that sorry we're not available for that date.

As I wrote I think you're fortunate in being able to choose your work but I also feel you need to reconsider your customer approach which, if I may say without offence, sounds a tad cavalier.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #20
Major Player

I agree with Philip, just taken a booking today for a wedding mid June 2012.
very happy to accept the booking, better that than them going elsewhere and yes my prices will go up in Jan but I am happy to have work lined up for the next 2 years.
cheers john
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #21
AVPA

Santo,

I think you've found your compromise & something that will work for you. In Australia, I don't believe we have the same norm as the UK - ie most people book wedding video no earlier than 18mths or less.
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
As I wrote I think you're fortunate in being able to choose your work but I also feel you need to reconsider your customer approach which, if I may say without offence, sounds a tad cavalier.
Hi Philip, Thanks for your comment, you definitely know your UK market very well. However I don't think I'm comfortable with booking clients 2 years ahead. There are just too many factors that can come in to place during that time. Maybe its just simply not the perfect solution for me but it is for a lot of other people who prefers safety in their business, which is totally understandable. I think it is more for those studios that works in numbers as well, like doing 100-200 weddings a year, they would need to really push their bookings early. For us, we only do 40-50 weddings maximum now and starting to train our second team for next year. So we don't really need to book weddings 2 years in advance because we don't have a big number to fill in. Hope that makes sense.

oh and just to clarify that what I wrote earlier about my conversation with the client was purely fictional. I would never talk like that with a client as you correctly put it, a tad too "cavalier" :)

As about the matter of booking people more than 12 months. I think we would be going towards the waiting list for now. If people really want your service, they would wait and it is only fair that we give them the privilege of contacting them first before anyone else and give them the chance they deserve. It is all about capturing moments of those who appreciate and respect your work the most. We have started to choose our clients now when we can and its not always easy but it is definitely worth it. So I guess having the minimum booking time does help in having a pool of clients to choose from.

Santo

Last edited by Susanto Widjaja; May 17th, 2010 at 04:50 AM.
Susanto Widjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I wouldn't mind you being a touch cavalier in your approach if I knew that I'd get a wedding film that looked like yours ;)

PS, by the time discussion on this thread is finished, it will be only 12 months till their wedding then your limit would be reached.
Aaron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #24
Major Player

Utter madness not taking a booking.

I have two bookings already for the summer of 2012. A long way off but who cares? If they split up I have made the booking fee for no work. They get the security of knowing they have the wedding videographer they want. I would take a booking for 2018 if the couple were going to leave a booking fee. This is a business and it's financial madness not to take a booking if the couple wanted me.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones View Post
I wouldn't mind you being a touch cavalier in your approach if I knew that I'd get a wedding film that looked like yours ;)

PS, by the time discussion on this thread is finished, it will be only 12 months till their wedding then your limit would be reached.
Thanks for the compliment Aaron :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Utter madness not taking a booking.

I have two bookings already for the summer of 2012. A long way off but who cares? If they split up I have made the booking fee for no work. They get the security of knowing they have the wedding videographer they want. I would take a booking for 2018 if the couple were going to leave a booking fee. This is a business and it's financial madness not to take a booking if the couple wanted me.
Great to hear that works for you. Obviously we have different priorities, which is totally fine. I hope none of your couples will split up though :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques