Lesson Learnt - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 25th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #16
Major Player

Hey Johannes,

Focus on DSLRs is, in my opinion, THE biggest issue with using these cameras. In all but the absolute best scenarios it is VERY tough to know for sure that you are in focus. The problem is that you can appear in focus on the LCD screen, but still be a bit out - and that could mean not being focused on the bride and groom and being focused on the folds of a bridesmaid's dress just behind them. You won't realize til you get back to your edit cave that your beautiful ceremony shots are worthless. :(

I use a Zacuto Z-Finder, which does help a great deal, although it's not perfect either - you can still have problems even when using it. The only foolproof way to get spot-on focus is to use an external monitor, and for most people using DSLRs that is out of the question. So, if you can't use a monitor you just have to do the best you can - and the Z-Finder (or other loupe solutions) help you at least see the screen clearly and more magnified so you can do better.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks John

Didn't realise you were running your own audio so that really makes a 20 minute shoot quite feasible with two 7D's ..Just for interest what is all the hype about the 12 min limit ?? Does the cam overheat or can you stop at 11:59 and instantly restart again and continue on the same card????

I can imagine how critical focus could be when you are playing with just inches of DOF!! What happens if the person doing the speech steps back 12" (as they often do with nerves) or just moves around?? Do you have to follow focus continuously??? When I do speeches on the HMC I just zap it on auto and wander around the room with the 2nd HMC shooting cutaways...never had a focus issue yet...gosh DSLR's sound like awfully hard work at a wedding...I can see huge advantages in a controlled enviroment like a photoshoot or staged movie but it seems for spur of the moment stuff (always at weddings) you really have to be with the camera and 100% attentive!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #18
Major Player

I guess this is a given. In my rookie years, I sometimes reverse the (Rec on/off), when I am shooting some scene it was tuned off when I am moving it was turned on. Now it is almost 2nd nature for me to check REC on before anything else.

Same thing with Johaness, I was toying with my wife's camera during the bride prep and by accident formated the card. She has to repeat the whole Bride prep and I was made to stand in the corner.

Good thread.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Same thing with Johaness, I was toying with my wife's camera during the bride prep and by accident formated the card. She has to repeat the whole Bride prep and I was made to stand in the corner.
LOL that really made me crack. Lucky there was enough time to repeat the bride prep otherwise she could've make you jump out of the window. :)

Chris, the 12 min limit is due to the format of the file being written into the CF at maximum 4GB per file which equates to about 12 mins recording (something like this if I'm not mistaken). So yes as soon as it stops you can immediately press rec again on the same card. Overheating is a different issue although with the new firmware our 7Ds didn't overheat at all on our previous wedding.

I guess I've underestimated the issue of focusing. Z-Finder is one solution but wondering what is everyone else shooting on DSLR are doing to keep the focus sharp in low light condition?
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holb View Post
I can imagine the sensation this must have caused. When I need to check the GB status on my 550D, I just press the MENU button to get into the menu system, then press DISPLAY which will bring up the status menu.
Ian, this is a GREAT tip. Although in order for it to work on the 7D, you have to switch to photo then press menu then info. It'll show the remain space on the bottom. I'll be using this to check from now on rather than using format screen ;).

BTW, if there is another way on the 7D to get to this menu without having to switch to photo, I'm all ears!
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques