Shooting Wedding with Canon 7D... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting Wedding with Canon 7D...

Hello, I am new here to these forums. Well, I think like others, not really new but finally registered and became a member. I have been shooting weddings in San Diego area for about 8 years now. All Standard DV and at times HDV, when requested. I have had many photographers ask me why am I not shooting with the HD capabilities of the Canon 7D. I have looked into it and just amazed with all the footage I have seen lately. So my question... other than Perfect full HD, why else shoot with it? And how do you manage the 12 min limit while filming a ceremony or reception toasts? Any help would be awesome and much appreciated.
Kristian Roque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kristian,

I would definitely use the search function on this topic, since it's been discussed at length both in this forum and other areas of DVInfo. Having said that, DSLRs give you a look that you have more control of due to lens interchangeability and low light performance. The 12 - 14 min. limit on them is something you just have to work around, by making sure you alternate stopping and starting with another cam so that you don't lose continuity of timeline.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, use the search function first. It works well. This topic has been talked about a lot.

Welcome! You'll find this place to be your go to website for all your needs.

You do have limitations. I haven't had a problem with the 12 min limit yet.

I will just say that you actually feel more like an artist when using it. It keeps me on my toes and my clients say that my videos look like a movie.

You should read up on it as much as you can then go rent one and shoot some b-roll with it or hire a second videographer out of your pocket for your next wedding and see how they work with it. I did this and I was blown away at the quality this guy got in such a low light situation. Weddings "usually" have poor lighting, this camera will make you stand out brother.

I took the plunge and now I will never go back.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Kristian,

Yes plenty of threads that can really help you started. But just a quick response to your questions.. why shot on DSLR: the amazing DoF, the (generally) cheaper price, the ability to swap lenses, portability, low light performance and more.

You need to be aware however: it won't do AF on video mode, it can overheat, 12 mins limit.

But definitely HD is the way to go if you wanna keep up with today's technology. Who knows, maybe in future we'll be shooting a wedding in 3D too. :P

Cheers,

John
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Major Player

The 12 minute limit is really not a big deal. Rarely does anything at a wedding last longer than a few minutes. For some reason, there are videographers that believe every second of the ceremony has to be recorded, this simply is not true. Click the start/stop button between the 1st Readers and the 2nd Reader at the ceremony. You don't need to film them walking from their pew to the alter. After the Maid of Honor does her toast, click the start/stop button before the Best Man does his toast and now you have a fresh 12 minutes.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
For some reason, there are videographers that believe every second of the ceremony has to be recorded, this simply is not true.
...mostly for sync purposes with multiple cameras.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Major Player

We use the 7D as well as a XH-A1 for a master shot.

There is also the issue of overheating, which as a new owner of a 7D, is scary to see. I've only seen it once so far, and I've filmed a few weddings and a couple plays using it.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

We switched to 7D's for the image quality and the low-light ability. We sacrifice our sanity over all the little annoyances for these two reasons.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques