Does this exist? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Does this exist?

Is there a product that would allow me to listen to multiple audio feeds wirelessly? I'm picturing a small bluetooth size piece that would fit into each of my cameras headphone jack, transmit the audio to either a receiver, or better yet, a set of headphones. I'm probably dreaming about the headphones! I shoot 3 camera ceremonies by myself usually, and this would allow me to monitor a camera with a shotgun mic, one with on-board, and one with wireless simultaneously without having to walk up to each one.

Last edited by Michael Clark; May 25th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Michael Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't which cameras you're using Micheal but assuming they have an audio line out I'd stick the output into the audio channel of the smallest, cheapest video sender you can find - we use such to monitor audio and video from our wirelessly remote controlled cameras. They generally have four channels, albeit very tightly spaced. Feed each into some sort of switcher - you could easily build a passive unit - and run the output into a headphone amplifier - you can buy them on a board ready for boxing.

You won't get great quality but I guess you're seeking comfort that you're recording something not monitoring quality.

If you are seeking quality, get out your cheque book, the big one.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Philip

That would be great for me too..in fact I was thinking out making a simple LED level meter that would clip to the rear of the camera and be driven by each headphone channel...I'm often up to 20' away from the main camera shooting cutaways and it VERY comforting to see the red tally light on so I know I'm recording (my cameras have a front and rear tally light)

For me a little beacon indicating that I'm receiving audio from the radio mics would be cool too..purely from a peace of mind point of view!!! It would dispel nagging thoughts like "Has the groom pulled out the lav connection" (actually I have ripped my mic inputs out and soldered the mic cable direct to stop this happening!! after the groom sat down and pulled out a lav jack after the signing of the register)

Wouldn't two "el-cheapo" radio mic transmitter/receivers also work??? Quality is awful but they are pretty cheap??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Trustee

Chris, I'm sure you're right - my decision in your case would be how cheap is cheapo and what else is using the frequencies? At least in church etc you'd be unlikely to find a video sender in the vestry but a kid outside with a walkie talkie thing?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Major Player

That would be tremendous. You're correct, I'm seeking the comfort. I'm mainly wanting to keep an eye on my wireless audio, as I do a lot of outdoor weddings, and sometimes the audio reception is scratchy. I'm not a very handy person (yet) when it comes to DIY video/audio, but I will definitely look into this setup (and post back here if I find anything). As always, thanks for the ideas!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques