DSLR's for wedding video? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Soetandi View Post
Has anyone ever compared the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 to Canon 85mm f1.8? Both are at the same price range and have gotten good reviews.
Lenses compares - Optyczne.pl

The Rokinon is perfect for video. Another great thing about full MF lenses is they are great for time lapses (no flicker).
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #107
Major Player

"Has anyone ever compared the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 to Canon 85mm f1.8? Both are at the same price range and have gotten good reviews. "

I have both and it is sharper than my Canon 85mm F.1.8 at wide open, that is the only F stop I compared cuz it is my low light lens and all I care about is F1.4, I still have my Canon for taking still.
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #108
Trustee

Johannes, the Canon 85mm 1.8 will produce a be a sharper image compared to the Rokinon 85mm 1.4.
The big difference between the two lenses though, is that the Canon 85mm is an auto lens, so it has AF capability.

The Rokinon 85mm is a full manual lens. As such the Rokinon will have no AF capability, as well as iris confirmation with the camera. So aperture control done from the lens, not the camera. that being said, this is great for video, as you get smoother aperture control to your image, as well as a nice tactile focus ring for smoother manual focusing.

A manual lens might be better suited for video. But if you want a lens that does both, the Canon 85mm will be a better bet. As you can get sharp instantaneous AF for fast moving stills, and good glass for video.

So if you want an 85mm for video only, the Rokinon might be a better choice, due to it's manual features,a and much lower price point. But if you want a lens for both video and still, then I would go with the Canon.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #109
Major Player

Thanks guys, I guess Canon would suit me best then. No plan on buying it (yet!) but most probably be the next lens I'd consider so it's always good to know. I personally can't live without AF, due to the fact that I love photography as well and manual focusing at low aperture for photo is just painful. I've practiced with my Super Takumar.. and 8 out of 10 photos are usually horribly out of focus!
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques