And the 7d ran off with the... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 21st, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

And the 7d ran off with the...

Getting a 7d soon likely. The biggest reason I'm needing it is for the video side of it, however, I do a ton of promotional work for my church and am needing to get into photography as well. What would be the best accompaniments to a 7D in my situation? Anything from sound to lens to tripod...whatever. I do have a budget, however, I'd rather know what the next most important items I need with it are. Any opinions?
Ryan ONeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Major Player

hope this helps..

- sound: shotgun mic
- lens: depends on what you need.. I'm happy with my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8mm VC. Good all rounder.
- Monopod/Tripod: The worst thing with 7D for video is the stability control. I hardly shot anything without it. I use manfrotto, good and reliable.
- a minimum 133x CF card although it buffers sometime so if you can afford, buy a better one.
- spare batteries
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Sound - A Rode Videomic in combination with an audio recorder and wireless mic. I use Sennheiser G2s and the Zoom series, but there are a

Lens - Depends greatly on your budget, but ideal to me is the Canon 70-200 (f/4 is wonderful if you want to save a few bucks and don't need a fast telephoto), and two fast, shorter primes (like a 35 and 50mm).

Stabilizing - I use a Manfrotto 701/190D combo and for the weight, it works, though it would be nice to have something sturdier. The tripod is mostly for having something to set the camera on, however, as the rest of the time it's on a monopod - a Manfrotto 701/560B combo. I highly recommend this monopod. It has three legs at the bottom for extra stability and if you know how to use it, you can stay on it all day. I'm shooting a promo for an event in a week and don't even plan on bringing a tripod.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques