Recording Good Sound at Reception Using Zoom H2 (video demo) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 17th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Recording Good Sound at Reception Using Zoom H2 (video demo)

I have been experimenting a way to record good sound at wedding reception without connecting to the DJ's sound board. I am now using a Zoom H2 recorder placed on top of a speaker. Then connect it with a wired lav mic hanging in front of it.

The result seems pretty good. Check out the clip. make sure you use a headphone to listen to the left and right channel which is the shotgun mic, and the H2 sound recorded.

I put together an article in my blog here
Recording Good Sound at Event | L.A. Color Blog

Welcome any comment!
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Very very good - how did you setup AGC?
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Trustee

Wat lav did u use?
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have AGC turn off on the H2. It's easy and have better to boost up audio gain in post than to fix distorted clipped sound.

The lav I use is this one

Old July 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

We're using the Zoom H4n to record audio from DJ speakers and we set it up on a stand at a 45-degree angle to the speaker and it gets great sound. We've been considering attaching a shotgun mic to the H4n and the stand and have it angled back to the audience for additional ambient sound. The Zoom is such a versatile device.

Agreed with you on not using the AGC, although on the H4n it has an interesting feature that supposedly eliminates clipping. Just haven't tested it yet.
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have thought of using a stand to hold the mic directly in front of the speaker. But then, there will be another stand to carry and sand bag. Also, the stand will be in an odd position that either doesn't look at at the reception, or interrupting traffic flow. Just have to worry about kids running around tripping the stand over hitting somebody. We do have insurance coverage but we don't want to make a scene.

That's why having the wired lav mic hanging on top of the speaker works for me so far.

I don't experience clipping with AGC off even with loud music playing during open dance floor. I still need to adjust the audio gain level in post. But the audio is clean.

I wrote that in my blog.. once I was asked $50 by the DJ if I want to hook up sound to his sound mixer.Now with this setup, I don't have to bother the DJ or ask for favor and I still get great sound.
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Major Player

I wrote that in my blog.. once I was asked $50 by the DJ if I want to hook up sound to his sound mixer.

Taky, the next time a DJ wants $50, tell him "no thanks". You'd rather have him sound like crap. He's clueless. The better your reception footage sounds, the better he sounds. He should be the one paying you.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

haha Michael, that's good thought.. and indeed a valid point. :) I made him sound better in the final DVD.

That time I told him to bill the customer instead of me paying. He refused. and I didn't plug to his sound board.
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea what you're doing. We use to just place a DVR on top of the speaker with an omni mic, but the H4n has directional onboard mics so we can't do that anymore without getting muddy sound. That's why we're putting it on a stand at an angle to the speaker (best sound at a 45-degree angle). It allows us to get the mics right up between the tweeter and woofer.

When you're dropping a lav down are you positioning it anywhere specific?
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The H2 also has direction mics.. but I plug in a wired lav mic instead as I placed the recorder on top of the speaker, the vibration will certainly kill the recording. I just hang the lav mic in front of the speaker. nothing particular.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
haha Michael, that's good thought.. and indeed a valid point. :) I made him sound better in the final DVD.

That time I told him to bill the customer instead of me paying. He refused. and I didn't plug to his sound board.
Taky, next time tell the DJ something like.."I'd really like you to have the best sound possible on their final DVD. Mind if I tap into your soundboard"?
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

This is a fine way to get reception audio. However, the bad part is this puts you at the mercy of what the DJ does. Last week I was recording audio like this and it turns out the DJ had a very hot level going through his board and all the audio is distorted. Just saying... :) Of course, I also have another audio source from the reception. :)
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Now with this setup successfully implemented and tested, I don't need to bother the DJ. I can still get good audio. Also, there is no booming sound when I moved the tripod.. or no audio recorded during the time I change tape.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques